Here is a hit of the Lord of the Flies:

I use to teach Lord of the Flies to 12th grade learning disabled
students.  It was their favorite project of the year.  We used old
magazines and made collages of any part of the story or a theme or one
of the characters.  They then had to do an oral report on their project.

It took a bit of time to do, but was well worth the time and energy!
Next came the newspapers for headings and anything current that might
follow the same path.  We then made political statements or propaganda
statements.  Find a picture that you like and then create a heading for
it.  The end results were quite sophisticated.

having taught the book for the past ten years, I might suggest a few
emphases:

Review the differing philosophies of Jean Jacques Rousseau (people are
good, society makes us bad)and Thomas hobbes (Humans are eveil, society
makes us behave)on the innate character of humans. in the Leviathan,
Hobbes has some really good stuff on fear and on the need of humans to
create their gods and their religions.

Review the Freudian aspects of the three main characters of the story:
The id, the ego, and the superego.

Read the story as an allegory of the Bible, following the story from
Creation to Armageddon, Genesis to Revelation.

Teach about the character of Simon as a mystic first, only secondarily a

messianic character.  My sophomores read portions of the Bhagavad-Gita
in January to see how the Gita related to MLK and then we compared MLK
to Simon to Ghandi and discussed what gave Simon  and the real life
activists the motivation to sacrifice--an unusual and rare human
endeavor in the have-it-all 90s.

My usual final activity with this novel is to have the students continue
the ending:  1.  Ralph and the others are NOT saved by the warship or
any other method.  What happens the boys in the next few days/ months?
2. The boys are taken back home to a peaceful life.  How do they adjst,
cope with civilization again?  3.  What are their lives like in 15-20
years in civilization?

When I taught this book to 10th grade, they always had fun creating a
map of the island.  There are some out there available, but it would be
fun to have them use just the description and then compare it to one
that has been published.

I am a tenth grade English teacher, and I taught LOF earlier this year.
I've taught it for the last five years as a matter of fact.  I really
like having the kids prepare a final crative project based on
symbolism.  They made diaramas, acted out scenes, drew or painted, and
one particularly talented student even composed his own music and played
a taped version for the class.  His music expressed the changes
throughout the book.  Hope this helps.

Below is a list of titles suggested:

Golding, William          The inheritors
Scobie, Pamela            Children of the wheel
Verne, Jules              A long vacation
Knowles (?)               A separate peace
Swarthout, G              Bless the beasts and the children
Lowry, Lois               The giver
Huxley, A                 Brave new world
Orwell                    Animal farm
Swift                     Gullivers travels
                          Swiss Family Robinson/Treasure
island/Gullivers
                             travels
Marsden, John             Tomorrow when the war began quartet
                          Fahrenheit 451
Shute,                    On the beach
Camus, A                  The plague
King, s                   The stand
Vonnegurt, K              Slaughterhouse Five; Galapagos etc
Adams, D                  Hitchhikers guide to the universe
Hughes, R                 High wind in Jamaica
Hughes, Monica            Invitation to the game
Marshall, James           Walkabout
Cormier, R                Chocolate war
                          Island of Dr Moreau
Bradbbury                 Martian chronicles/Illustrated man
nelson                    Girl who owned the city
?                         Butterfly revolution
Hobb, W                   Down river
DUncan, Lois              Killing Mr Griffin
Greene, Bette             The drowning of Stephan Jones
Cole, brock               The goats
Paulsen, Gary             The river/Voyage of the Frog
Rylant, C                 Missing May
Carter, A                 Up country
Bridgers, Sue             Permanent connections
Brooks, bruce             Midnight hour encores\
Buss, Franjk              Journey of the sparrows
Hinton                    The outsiders
Cormier                   Tunes for bears to dance to

plus several other survival stories.

Two very useful reference books mentioned where:

*What else should I read?* by Matt Berman. Libraries Unlimited 1991
 *From Hinton to Hamlet; building bridges between young adult literature

and the classics.* by Sarah Herz. Greenwood Press, 1995.