Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 11:41:34 -0500
 Apr 30 16:04:15 1998
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 11:47:44 -0500

Subject: HIT: Computer to videotape

Many thanks to all who responded to my plea for information on
transferring a computer-generated presentation to videotape.  Here is
what you folks suggested:

To videotape, connect a scan converter (we use AverKey 3) through
your VCR.  Then simply hit record and play the presentation.

I've seen PowerPoint presentations transferred to videotape via an
AverKey.  You just connect the cable to the VCR rather than to the TV.
Our district has a "pocket scan converter"  (I can't remember whether
that's the "kind" of equipment or the "brand") which does the same thing,
but its picture isn't as good.

To transfer to tape, use any RGB to NTSC converter you can find.

Here's what we do: use a scan converter to get the video into the VCR,
and a converter from Radio Shack--it's an audio "mini" on one end and
two RCA plugs on the other--to get the audio into the VCR.  Be sure to
set your VCR on L or AV if it's a really good one.  If you don't have a
scan converter, you might want to ask around.  Some nearby school
must have them.

You can send video from the PC to a tape recorder via any of the
PC-to-TV converters ($200-$300 the last time I priced them, maybe less
now).  Once you get the image on the TV (via the VCR), you just tape the
way you always do.  Anything that is on the screen, including mouse
movements or key strokes, goes into the video.  Audio must come in
separately (at the same time, of course).   You'll need a cheap
microphone or some sort of sound source and an RCA cable between
your sound source and the back of your VCR.  What is complicated
about this is not doing it but setting it up.  Once you get it set up, don't
uncable it, and then you'll be ready for every production.

It might be easier to purchase an Intel video capture card and a CD writer
and saving them to CD-ROM.  The CDs are much longer lasting.

Thanks so much to all of you who took time to answer.  Now we're off
on the wild ride!

Brenda Hahn, librarian
Dell Rapids Public School
Dell Rapids SD 57022-1099
hahnb@dellrapids.com

From: Brenda Hahn <HAHNB@DELLRAPIDS.COM>
Subject: HIT: Multimedia presentation software (part 1) (with signature!)

I inadvertantly forgot to put my signature on the previous post.  My
apologies!

Sorry this took so long to post (network crashed, mail program crashed,
you don't want to know!).  Thanks to all who responded!!!  There were
requests for a hit, so here goes:

How about HyperStudio by Roger Wagner Publishing, Inc. 619-442-0522.

Hi!  We've used HyperStudio, which is supposed to be "PowerPoint for
kids", but in my opinion is much more powerful.  You can import sound
and video easily, and you can scan in pictures and even have
hyperlinks.  It takes some training to learn, but there are some good
tutorials out there and HyperStudio even has a web site.  I think it's
http://www.hyperstudio.com but I'm not sure.  It's easy enough to find
through a Yahoo search...I teach computers to K-8th graders and we
just started using it this year--the teachers are getting used to it first
before turning the kids loose with it.  It's really a lot of fun, once you get
into it.

HyperStudio--no contest!

For software try HyperStudio--it's much simpler.

Try HyperStudio--It's great!

I personally like PowerPoint better than Hyperstudio (the only two I am
familiar with) as PP has more versatility (changing and editing slides is
easier).  Hyperstudio still has the commands at the top (not full screen
like PP).  PP has spell check and those types of features.

Brenda Hahn, librarian
Dell Rapids Public School Library
Dell Rapids SD 57022-1099
hahnb@dellrapids.com