LM Netters,
        Thursday evening I asked two questions (do you let kids in grades 3-5
checkout books during their first scheduled LMC visit and what are the
three most important things you teach each of those grades).  I have had
more than twenty responses--with some very good insight.  Many concluded
by adding "hope this helps!"  Be assured, you experience and advice DOES
help!  Thanks for the time you took to respond.
        Many asked for a HIT...so, here it is (without names, sorry--it was
getting really long) in three parts--to comply with length
restrictions!  Thanks, again.
        Kathy Hutton, LMS
        Harrison Elementary, Disputanta, Virginia
        khutton@pgs.k12.va.us
****
I have all the classes in during the first week and ahalf of school.
With
the older students (gr 4-6), I outline the school reading program and do
quick review of the library hours and rules.  I always let everyone sign
out books right away.  I do restrict the grade ones to one book.
***
I've been in a 1-5 school for the last three years. I do allow
all classes to circulate books on their first library day. With 1st
grade,
I spend our first session on library rules/orientation and our second
class
on book care. It may seem odd to let the kids take books before doing
the
book care lesson but they're really anxious to begin taking books home
and
I haven't yet had any damaged books during the first few weeks of
school.
With grades 2-5, I do a brief review of rules and book care during the
first class.
        We have a very structured curriculum in our district. Basically, this
is
what we need to cover:
Grade 3
        Awareness: locating nonfiction books; card catalog including parts of a
catalog card and types of cards; locating info in a general
encyclopedia;
locating info using an atlas or globe
        Mastery: Locating fiction books; Recognizing parts of a book; locating
info
in a dictionary and thesaurus; becoming acquainted with literature
including picture books and tall tales

Grade 4
        Awareness: Card catalog (cross references and key words); Parts of a
book-
index; using a world almanac
        Mastery: Locating nonfiction books; card catalog; becoming acquainted
with
literature including myths, legends, Newbery books, etc.; identify
characateristics of non-books; locating info in dictionary and
thesaurus;
locating info in encyclopedias

Grade 5
        Awareness: Card catalog (subject searches - general to specific)
        Mastery: Locating nonfiction books; card catalog including medium
identification; using reference books such as the atlas, almanac, etc.
        Hope this is helpful. I borrowed lots of professional books from the
public
library collection and from our state dept. of library services
collection.
They were a big help in developing some initial lessons.
***
        I'm a K-5 ms who has done time in middle school.  My middle
school experience has convinced me that we MUST teach our elementary
kids
how to access and use information sources.  If I taught nothing else, I
would make sure that they had those skills when they left elementary
school.  In the middle school, the kids visit the media center only when
the teacher brings them in for a specific reason, usually a project.
More
often than not, that leaves the ms with the formidable task of teaching
information skills on the fly and in a limited amount of time - those
teachers only have time for their subject area and are not interested in
the "big picture."
        So, information skills are at the top of my priority list for my
elementary
students.  I see that as my duty to preparing them for lifelong
learning. I
like the BIG 6 framework.
***
        For grades 3 -5, beginning research skills are very
important.  With third grade - dictionary, atlas, encyclopedia
indexes, beginning computer or card catalog searching skills, simple
notetaking and summarizing and listing sources, also literature
skills like genre, story elements, types of poetry and folklore.
        By fourth grade - thesaurus, almanac, and special encyclopedias,
continue with literature skills and searching skills, go more in
depth with research - notes, outlining or webbing, bibliographies.
We add Newbery award books at this level and get into author studies.
        By fifth grade, walk them through the entire research project with a
topic they enjoy or choose themselves.  Include print and electronic
searching and sources.  Teach a fairly adult bibliography format.
Teach key word searching for search engines and computer catalog.
Also how to use presentation software like PowerPoint, Hyperstudio.
***
        classroom management is your single greatest challenge--invest the time
in the
beginning of the yr with your kids-it will pay off
***
        I can't imagine taking three weeks to discuss rules of the library and
how to take
care of books.  We cover those items in the first 15 minutes and then
spend the
next 15 picking out our books for that week.  The first week they come
to the
library.  We even use shelve markers so the books get back where they
belong.  I
usually tell them, okay who can list the library rules?  We then get a
bunch of
interesting suggestions, narrow it down the to ones that we think are
really
important.  Discuss how many books they get this year and when the due
dates are on
them and then get to checkout.  Many of them have been starved for books
for summer
and are champing at the bit to find a book.

        The most important thing to teach the kids is how to use an index.
Once they learn
the secrets of what the format of an index is telling you and how to
read the clues
they will become more successful searchers.  We talk about hints for
faster
scanning and how to be as quick as the adults are.
        The next probably is how to use the keyword search on the computer
catalog for
effective searches in the library.
        Then I think teaching to read for key idea and take effective notes
would be the
last thing. Along with organization techniques for putting together a
report.
        I'm in a K-5 building and was prior to that a K-12 librarian with
another district
for 9 years.  When the students came up through the system and didn't
have the
skills to function in the library then I wasn't doing something right.
        One of the most important thing I tell them even at the elementary
library is that
many times they come zooming in from the classroom on a mission from the
teacher to
find out something and if I'm with another class, I can't stop and help
them.  They
have to beable to locate information on their own.  They seem to
understand that,
especially when they see other students coming and going and I don't
stop and
answer questions.
***