I can't help but respond to the statement that June Hardison wrote about
her new library situation.
I find it APPALLING  and believe  that she will work to change this.

<< It is my understanding that students are not allowed to check out any
books which are not AR (and in their ZPD range).  This was decided by the
teachers and the Reading Renaissance Committee>>

  If the teachers and the Reading Renaissance Committee made this decision,
was the librarian not present?  What a great way to turn kids OFF READING.
If it were me, FIRST  I would refuse to go along with the rule unless
directed to by administration.  Then I would find all information I could
to back up my case.  Then I would solicit parental support for a big change
in the system.

In my case, I was a reader in school.  I had read the reading book before
the end of the semester.  As a good reader, when I got involved in the
reading incentive contests, or the old SRA program, I could take any of the
tests and usually ace them without really reading the book.  When the
public librarian said I couldn't check out books above my grade level, my
mother went in and secured permission for me to read above level.  In
school, I was encouraged to try above my level.  When I wan an elementary
library (on 3 different occassions) I always allowed non-fiction to be
checked out.  I believe that many were hooked on books because of that.

Thank you all for letting me vent.  I have followed the AR discussions and
this seems to enforce my feeling that I never want to see it in a school I
work.

Deborah Stafford
Gen. H.H. Arnold High School
Wiesbaden Germany