-----Original Message-----
From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Joan Marstiller
Sent: Sunday, July 26, 1998 5:43 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: HIT: Internet Use (long)

For those of you who would like to see some of the replies I received
regarding using permission cards to use the Internet, here they are:

Check out the Internet Drivers License.  It shows that a student has
permission and is a neat card that can be customized to your school.

We send home an accepable use policy that parents and students must sign if
the
student is under 18.  We have a circulation system that allows us to put a
note on
a student record.  Before going on the Internet, students must get an
internet
license which is attached to the computer with velcro.  This they must get
at
the
desk after their circ. record is checked.  This has worked well for us.

I bought a special paper punch (it's shaped like a diamond--something
other than the regular round type) and I punch their student body cards
when they return their signed AUP's. They must present their punched
cards to me if they want to use the Internet at any time other than
scheduled class time when their teachers bring them in for research.
Those times include before school, lunch, after school and any time they
drop in from a class. Works fine.

The card has the student name, student ID#, and year of graduation on it.
The Internet stations have a holder (made by the librarian, but you
probably could find a ready-made one) attached to the top of the monitor.
Student must put the Internet "driver's license" in the holder when using
the 'net. No card, no use of Internet -- even if the reason is "I left it
at home". Works wonders -- card is printed on orange card stock (school
colors are orange and black) so it is easily visible. Card is laminated
so it doesn't wear out.

This rule is enforced at all times, even when the student is part of a
class doing research. The student must have an AUP on file, AND have
taken/completed the self-directed training worksheet before the card is
issued.

The procedure we follow in our middle school is thus:  students who return
a signed AUP are thereby allowed to use the net at school.  I keep the
signed form.  When students receive their school ID card, this internet
permission is noted on the card by an "@" (the "at" sign).  I might add
that a "$" sign indicates if the student has paid all of their school fees
and that the student's library barcode is also on the card.  Last year was
the first year we did this and it seemed to work well.

Our school corporation sent home permission forms for parents to sign if
the child was under 18.  A copy of the school Internet usage policy,
guidelines, and computer virus information was also sent.  The forms were
returned to each school's librarian.  I issued a simple card that contained
the student's name, my signature and date.  I also put in the corner the
patron barcode number assigned to the students in my automation program.  I
hoped that way they would at least know their number for checking out
books.  (This year they may get picture id cards with their library
barcode.)  I also embossed the card with the media center's embosser so
that the cards could not be duplicated.  I kept all forms on file in my
office.  It was the student's responsibility to carry the card with them
and place on the computer each time they used the Internet.  We have
Internet in several labs and all the classrooms. I made the cards the size
of a credit card and ran them off on heavy stock paper on the rizogragh in
the office.

At my school, we have the Internet Permission Form Letter signed by
parents.  Then the kids get a sticker which is affixed to their ASB card
which must be placed on top of the computer Every time they use.  Teachers
must have that card in place.  Good Luck!!

We use the Internet User Card, which is done in wild/neon-like colors.  We
had the printing department print them using one of our school colors.  The
only information we asked was their student ID number and their signature,
but we require them to display a picture ID along with the User Card when
they want to access the Internet.  I even bought plastic attachments with a
clip to attach to the computer (so they could clip their ID and User Card
in a clearly-visible place), but the cling-on type did not last, so we just
have them put the two cards on the top of the keyboard or some other
clearly-visible place.

We do have cards that were issued to the student on receipt of their signed
AUP letter.  The card was on colored paper, laminated and merely had their
name on it and (I can't remember for sure) either our school building name
or
Internet pass.  Something like that.  They had to be displayed by the
computer
when they were on the Internet.

One person suggested that it would be less of a hassle to only be concerned
with the ones who are NOT permitted to use the Internet.  We have about 950
students in our school, and my guess is that only about 10% of these will
not
have permission.

Joan Marstiller
Librarian, Franklin Regional Jr. High