Friends,

Since several people asked for a hit on the justifications for
automation, I have composed my version of a hit. Please excuse my
mistakes. This is my first hit. Also, it is in 2 parts because of
length.

Karen Teigen, Librarian
Oberlin Elementary School
Oberlin, LA
cen31112@centuryinter.net
Perhaps it is best to keep it simple, under the circumstances described.
        Which is preferable, when one's envisioned destination is
distant?
A pick and shovel, with which to build a road, or heavy machinery to
accomplish same.  With due and sincere respect for the John Henry's of
this
world, we need to be practical and forward-thinking.  And in the case
you
describe, the machinery need not be invented, or tested for its
reliability
and functionality.  That's been done--and proven!  We now need only to
support and fund its use.
        In that light, you might require the holders of the purse
strings
to justify any posture of choosing to drag their feet--of NOT moving
forward, in a reasoned, responsible, professional manner to properly
prepare the kids for their journeys in the next century.

It is cheaper to maintain than the old card catalog system.
One of the things that I tell people is, once your automated you have a
complete record of all the resources in the school.  In our school, many
items are housed in different locations (science kits, videos, staff
books
etc.).  When we do a subject search all appropriate items are on the
list
and not forgotten.  As well, many of our older picture books did not
have
subject cards.  Now I can easily assign a subect to the item if it fits
into one of our themes.
Try using the argument that automation helps with
ACCOUNTABILITY--keeping
track of materials and cutting down on loss, as well as analyzing what
is
being used.  The library is probably the most expensive room in the
school--more funds invested.  The bottom line often gets attention.
  My first thought is the
disservice we're doing to students who don't have access to online
materials
(including the catalog) before they're turned loose in the world!  As
you
mentioned, more and more university and public libraries are automated.
If
K-12 schools are still teaching students 'card' catalog skills, we're
not
preparing students for the real world.  Online resources - catalogs,
Internet, CD-ROM, etc. - require critical thinking skills in order to be
used successfully.  The *process* of these skills will be vital to
tomorrow's adults.
The  biggest advantage to an automated catalog is the your collection
becomes 80% more accessible.  You can search in many more ways and more
quickly than with a card catalog.  You can also search in many more
ways.  You can search for the tradional author, title, and subject and
the automatd catalog allows you to search additonal for keyword, series,
and call number.  Automation is wonderful.  Good luck with your grant
process.
On the off-chance that it is not too late, I will tell you about my
experience in an elementary school when we put in an automated catalog.

The day the catalog was finally automated, I was far too busy to do
anything about it.  There was a planetarium tent set up in the library
for star shows, all the classes were coming through for the program, and
library classes were meeting as scheduled even though all the furniture
was pushed into the far aisles and-I was too busy for one more thing.

But that afternoon, as I whisked by, I could hear the second graders
explaining to each other how the new catalog worked.  They already knew
how to locate books by the call number-and they had already figured out
for themselves how to use the simple search screen of the Mandarin
system.  You *know* how many lessons that took with a card catalog-which
drawer to choose, how you know the title from the subject, and so on.
Catalog cards, though we adults are accustomed to them, don't read like
English.  Location (and there are no cues) provides meaning-that's why
so many kids want the book with the call number 64 p or the call number
1984.  Reading catalog cards is *really hard* for elementary kids.  The
proof of it is, how many teachers *refuse to use* the card catalog and
ask the librarian instead.  So-what's the point of having kids waste
their time learning this card catalog stuff when the computer catalog is
1) so much easier for them to use, 2) matches the other library catalogs
they see, 3) permits them to develop a skill they will apply widely
during their lifetimes, namely, getting information from a computer.
I automated through 8(g) a few years ago.  A large part of my reasoning
was to
teach students improved research skills and search strategies through
using
Boolean searches, and to  make them more able to use and access the
automated
card catalog at the public library.  I also pointed out the similarities
of
using these same search skills for Internet searches.  I also mentioned
that
the students would be able to carry out self-service check-out in order
give me more time to assist others with research.  (Above all, though, I
placed emphasis on what it would do for the students.  I really played
down
what it would do for me.)