Fellow 'Netters,

Since I have resigned my position, I am preparing to spend my days in new
ways.  I met with the principal at my son's elementary school and proposed
volunteering my time to form and lead a book club for a small group (not
more than 10) of 5th and 6th graders. The principal is delighted with this
opportunity.   The Brown Bag Book Club (feel free to suggest other catchy
names) will meet monthly. My intent is that the students in this group be
more than just kids who are good readers who like to read.  I'm looking for
kids who NEED to read.  Kids who can't get enough.  I'm sure you have all
encountered such hungry readers.  This will be a voluntary group that
offers an option to lunchtime recess.  I expect that the students will be
reading above grade level.

I need to put together a bib of possible titles to share with the classroom
teachers;  I don't want to choose books that the teachers will be using in
their classrooms.   I would like to read books that are appealing to both
boys and girls.  I'd like to select books from a variety of genres.  The
books should be at 5+ reading level.  Most importantly, they need to be
complex enough, meaty enough, to keep us engaged in discussion for about
1/2 hour.  I will definitely include The Giver, and perhaps The Wish Giver
and Frindl.

I am counting on you to help me pull together just the right books for this
group. When you make suggestions, it would be helpful if you would include
author, title, genre, and if you have the time, a short blurb.

I know some of you will be interested in the list, so I will gladly post a
HIT.

I'm looking forward to reading your suggestions!

Audrey

Audrey Glick, LMS
AT HOME
Worthington, Ohio