I am exploring  ways which my elementary library could have a flexible
schedule this coming school year. This is at the request of the
administration.  I am in this building for two consecutive days a week and
then go to my other elementary building. During the two days I am there I
teach 8 classes one day and 7 classes another day for 35 minutes each. We
are not automated so I teach reference skills, retrieval skills and then
read books to 1-2 graders. Then the students check out in this same
period.  I am providing the teachers planning time for the day which is a
teachers contract issue. During the noon period I have a lunch period of
35 minutes and then a study hall assignment. My principal would like me to
ditch the library skills and concentrate on  the computer lab down the
hall (13 computers) and teach computer skills during class time. . The
computer lab person quit and we have a lab standing alone.
Currently, I have an aide who is with me in this building during the day .
 She follows me to the other building while I am there also. She does the
processing, checking in and out, shelving, filing of cards, general
maintenance etc while I maintain discipline, teach etc.
I am not certain how I can have flexible scheduling and or run the
computer lab, and provide classes there .  I would appreciate any and all
input or creative ideas that anyone would have or ways you do this is your
school. Thanks in advance. Please respond to the email address below

Pat Reyburn,Librarian
King/ Nielson Elementary Schools
Galesburg, IL
reyburn@midwest.net