Thank you, thank you, to all who replied to my request for advice on
booktalking
at the middle school level. I now have a nice variety of ideas that I
can apply
to my situation.  Many, many people asked for a HIT so here we go:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
1.)You don't have to do a lot of books.  What about 5 per class and
rotate them each month.  Maybe you could do a book talk moment and pop
into classes to give a brief book talk about one book--2 minutes or so.
See how that goes.
You could also do a different theme for each class and then rotate those
books talks and add a new one when you are up to it.
Caroline Feller Bauer and Joni Brodart have good ideas that can be
modified for secondary.
I have given booktalks on mysteries where I only read the first line.
That can be a grabber.
 =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
1.  Multiple copies are nice, but I have talked with just one copy.
2.  I usually talk 6-8 a visit.
3.  Yes, I must admit I've talked books that I have not read or read so
looooooong ago that the story line is very fuzzy.
 The thing that I found most useful to me is that I tend to select a
theme and talk books relating to that theme.  Such as family life,
humor, growing-up stories....this is how I connected with my reading
teachers.  They have thematic units.  It also narrows down the
possibility that you will select the same book for a future talk with
that class.
 I like to take a selection of more books than I can booktalk in a
session - say 30 - (all of which I am prepared to booktalk).  I stand
them up in front of the class on the blackboard ledge, teacher's desk,
etc.  I tell the kids that everyone says not to judge a book by its
cover but I want them to do just that and tell me which ones they want
to hear about from the cover.  I pick on kids to tell me which one to
tell about next.  I can usually get through about ten in a class period,
especially if I read a a short section, which I usually like to do to
give them a feeling for the writing style.  It's good to have about
three copies of each title - one out and two hidden away - but a little
bit of a rush on a book isn't such a bad thing.  After the booktalk, you
still have the twenty books you didn't talk for the next group.
    The bottom line is, you need a lot of books, you need to read a lot
of books, and it's generally unmanageable but a whole lot of fun and
really worth it.  You may want to do just a couple of classes at the
beginning of the year.

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
3.)I *love* to booktalk!  However....I have given it up :(  The reasons
you stated are the very reasons that led me to believe it was best not
to do it.  Instead, I find myself doing a lot of "shelf talking" ----
going over to a group of students who have congregated and pulling off
books from the shelves where they are standing and "shelf talking"
those.  I've read extensively in our collection so can always find a
handful that I know well enough to push.   (Or sometimes I pull books
ahead of time and walk around with them in my hands looking for the
right group of kids to push them to.)   I guess "shelf talking" is a lot
like booktalking but just to a MUCH smaller group.  I just never thought
it fair to lure 13 classes of 6th grades to 6-8 titles so I don't do
it anymore.  I know that there are many LMSs who do, and probably very
successfully, but I'm happier this way.

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
4.)I was hired last year to work in a 6-8 library. I was called upon by
avariety of teachers to do booktalks, so I didn't worry too much about
nothaving enough to go around as I didn't always do the same ones in the
different classes. One 6th grade Language Arts teacher however asked me
todo them once a month to 2 of her classes.  I would take about 20
minutes(although I am so long winded when I am talking about books that
I lovethat I sometimes went over!) Let's say I tried to keep it to 20
minutes. Iusually wheeled a small book cart into her classroom with a
number of books,of which I would talk about only some of them (whatever
I could fit in in 20 minutes). I would have students sign up for the
titles they wanted and that way I could booktalk those same titles in
the next class, and let those students do the same. Then I would make a
reserve list and students would eventually get the book they had
requested. When I'm asked to do book talks for a number of classes that
require the same theme or genre, then I try
topull at least enough books off the shelves to accomodate the number of
students and have those books on my cart, although obviously I wouldn't
booktalk every one. I never booktalk a book I haven't read. I think I
have more influence with kids when I am passionate and enthusiastic
about the books I am presenting and I can't be that about books I
haven't actually read. Hope this is useful to you.
5.)The more copies you have of a title the better, but I have book
talked a
book and only had one copy.  I use different books for each class.  On
the
odd occasion I've book talked a title I haven't read.  Seems like there
are
never any takers!! I don't know how they know.  I book talk to grades
3-6.
With the 5 and 6 classes I just put out sign up papers for anyone
interested in reading the book.  I use to ask if anyone was interested
in
reading it or draw numbers, but found there is a lot of peer pressure at
this age.  Many don't want to appear keen before their classmates.  I
like
to use props to catch their attention.
Hope this helps.

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
6.)Here's a few guidelines that have worked for me:

1.  Never booktalk a book you haven't read.  The kids--no matter what
age--will see right through you.

2.  If possible, go into the class about a week before hand to just ask
kids what kind of books they've read before that they liked.  Ask for
specific titles or authors if they can remember them. Then pick out
books
that are very similar to booktalk.  Also along this line, if they are
not
readers, ask them what movies they've seen that they've liked.  Then get
books that are like those movies.

3.  I usually only have one copy of the book.  When I'm done talking it,
pass it around and tell the kids that if they want the book to hold on
it until the end of the period.  Then I'll check it out to them right on
the spot (take an old date stamper with you).  If they wait until they
get
to the library, they'll prob. forget the name of the book.  "So strike
when
the iron is hot.

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
7.)I frequently booktalk a book I have not read.  I do rotate the books
from
class to class so there is  better chance they can read them.  I keep
3x5
cards on eaach book so I can use it again.  I always thought I'd put
them
on hyperstudio so kids could browse them...but time.

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
8.)If you need a source for prepared booktalks, check out my page
"Booktalks --
Quick and Simple"  There are about 600 ready to use booktalks.
http://www.concord.k12.nh.us/schools/rundlett/booktalks

I agree that you do not want to present the same books to each class.  I
would try to do as many "short" talks as I felt comfortable with and
maybe
just show a few books to add an assortment.  I try to read each book I
booktalk but I end up skimming most.  Since I've read all the books on
my
site, it's just a matter of reacquainting with an old friend.

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
9.) When I took a YA class a couple years ago we were given some advise
about book talks.  You need to know the book which means you do have to
read it; it is too hard to rave about something that you don't know
about.  I would think a suggestion might be to do a different set of
books for each class and rotate the sets each month.  That way no one
book would be in demand by more than one class at a time.  Know this
means you need to be able to book talk more books but once the initial
work is done, then just change them for the different classes.
        Another thing we discussed in the YA class is you need to like
the
book.  Can be hard to convince someone else to read something you really
didn't like.
        If you keep the talks short, you could probably do around 10 at
one
time.  That way you give a wide variety of things for them to think
about.  Also have other books out that might be similar to the ones you
talk about.  Can say, "If this sounds good, so might this" type of
thing.

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
10.)NEVER book talk a book you haven't read!! the kids will know you're
working
from the cover and be disappointed in you.  As for books, I never check
out
the one I'm booktalking to anyone that day because I don't have enough
to go
around.  You could try booktalking a couple of books by the same author
(Lois Duncan, Gary Paulsen) or books with the same theme (humor,
survival,
mystery).  That way you don't have to have read all of them, but you
have
similar books to check out.  I generally will book talk two or three
books
but no more because the kids lose interest.  If I only do a couple, that
makes the ones I've read go further!
11.)A word of advice - Never booktalk a book you have never read.  You
can do 4 or
five books per  visit. To make it easier you could do one or two fiction
books
and then follow up with some non-fiction titles.  You can do a theme,
you can
do what is currently papular, or you can do books that fit in with what
is
going on in the classroom.  Booktalks  don't have to be just fiction -
you can
use non-fiction, magazines, any items that you have available for
check-out.
A booktalk can focus on one article or aspect of a book or magazine -
kind of
like a teaser.
   What you are really doing is giving an "ad" for the book, a hook, to
get
them interested in checking out the materials.  I had the same problem
with
having limited copies of materials that I was booktalking when I was in
the
public library and went to schools for class visits - I found that I had
to do
different titles for each class or I would have a riot when the kids
came to
check out  the books.  My advice - do what you can with what you
know/have now
- and just keep reading reading reading to build up your number of
fiction
titles.
12.)I try to have other titles available that are similar to the ones I
bt'ed.  Sometimes by the same author; sometimes by genre.  I also
start a "hold" list for the titles.  I work at a school of readers, so
students will often go to the public library.  I write out on the
board (sometimes even a handout), authors and titles for the students
13.)I usually have 2 or 3 copies of the books.  I book talk 3 or 4 per
class.
 I often try to booktalk an author so they have several to choose from.
  I also hold back a few copies for the later hours so they have a
chance
at the books, too.  We also do reserves if they really want the book.
I do not book talk books I haven't read.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
14.)Hi! Booktalking is a great tool, if you feel comfortable with it.  I
think
it would be very difficult to booktalk the same books to all classes,
unless
you have multiple copies of the books.
How many copies of booktalk books do you usually have?
I often booktalked a combo of paperback and hardcovers.  My library had
mutliple copies of the paperbacks.  I would make sure I did a good
number so
the books would be available.  I also had a list of "similiar" titles in
mind that I could reccomend when all the booktalked titles were checked
out
.  Often, I would put the books on a cart in YS so the kids could find
them
easier.
How many books do you booktalk in a visit?
It varies, depending on the time and the type of books.  I always try to
include at least one Nonfiction, if I'm doing fiction.  I would booktalk
as
few as 2 and as many as fifteen, depending on type, genre, goals, etc.

Does anyone booktalk a book they haven't read?
Absolutely not.  It is way to hard, and the kids can always tell.
Sometimes, kids will ask questions about the book that you can't answer
if
you haven't read it.  That ruins your cedibility.  If you don't have
time to
read the whole book, read the first and last few chapters and then skim
points throughout the books so you feel you know the book well enough to
be
able to answer questions.

Hope this helps.  While it's daunting at first, experiment w/ different
ways
of presenting the booktalks.  I would vary from reading a passage, to
describing, to relating it the audiences' life. Sometimes I would take
on
the personality of a character in the book.  When bt a poetry book, I
would
choose one poem and read the majority of it, maybe all but the last line
or
two.   The most important things to remember are to enjoy yourself and
talk about books you can get excited about.   Happy
booktalking!-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
15.)Karen--Some people learn or read the book talks available in a
variety ofplaces.  I don't recommend that.  STudents can tell if you're
nottalking
"from the heart."  You want them to trust you and believe what you're
saying, so don't cut corners by book talking books you haven't read.  If
you haven't read the books, how can you be sure that you would recommend
them, and why should students bother to read them if you haven't?
Students
will also ask questions that you may not be able to answer.

Don't book talk the same books to all classes.  In addition to the
problems
you've identified, you'll also get bored and perhaps not be as
enthusiastic
to the last classes as you were for the first ones.

Why not aim for a more reasonable work organization?  Do book talks with
some of the classes, perhaps one grade level, this semester, and another
activity with the others.  Next semester, switch.  That way, you'll have
both semesters covered.  Why not talk with the teachers about a second
activity that would work for the different grades?  I'm sure they'll
understand your situation.  They've been there!
16.)I've done little booktalking in my current job (K-8), but I'll
answer
from the viewpoint of my previous job in a middle school.

> How many copies of booktalk books do you usually have?  It varied.
  I was happy any time I had more than one.
> How many books do you booktalk in a visit? As many as 20 or more,
so that there would be at least one title per student.
> Does anyone booktalk a book they haven't read? Yes, although some "experts"
say it can't be done.  Read enough to give you enough info to talk about
it.
  Take notes on 3x5s to refresh your memory this time and for the next
time
you use the same book. It would have been impossible for me to do my job
if
I'd had to read them all.  Some days I did booktalks in 5
classes--successfully,
 I might add, judging from comments by staff and student interest

To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send email to