I am looking for guidance with a problem I *didn't* try to solve last
year--but I have to get on it right away.  It concerns library passes, and
how many students I should be responsible for alone in our library.
To give you background: we are a 5-8 Middle School of 340 students in our
second year of operation.  We have flexible scheduling in our 40-seat
library (me with an assistant for 3 periods in the morning)  The 5 and 6
grade classes are self-contained and the 7 and 8 grades have an 8 period
day, with some study hall periods for those not signed up for the
specialized areas.  There must be a good way to handle library passes for
these 7 and 8 graders. I am thinking that what I can do is look at my
schedule each morning, determine if I am scheduled to work with any classes
during the 7-8 study hall times.  If a class is signed up with me to use
the library, then I could not give out library passes for 7 and 8 graders
since I will be teaching the other class and can't supervise them.  If I do
not have a scheduled class coming in, then I could accommodate students who
want to come in to use the library during the study hall time--but---how
many of them would be fair to me ?  I have 40 seats, am responsible for the
new 26-computer room with full internet access right next door (where the
new Assistant is teaching keyboarding Per 1 and 2--then she comes in to the
library to work with me per 3 and 4 (and 5 while I go to lunch). Then she
goes away and I am alone for the rest of the day.  (Teachers must bring
their students to the computer room, no students can be in there without a
staff member.)

I would love comments, suggestions, etc, and will be glad to post a hit if
anybody wants.
Thanks for your time
Trish Feld
Crossett Brook Middle School
Waterbury, Vermont
05676
tfeld@waterbury.k12.vt.us

To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send email to