This is very interesting.  I actually do know someone who "ran off" with
someone she met online.  (She left her husband, he left his wife, and he
moved all the way here from Alaska to be with her).  I am curious as to
how this will end, but I can't really say that the Internet ruined her
life... as she was pretty messed up before the internet even existed.  I
could go on and on about attitude and how a positive one can do a wonder
for your life, but I won't get on my soapbox.

Anyway, I think the study is still interesting, and I have to say that I
have noticed that I often feel depressed when I have been online for a
while.  However, it's usually when I've been doing something frivolous
or fun (playing games, chatting, or shopping at Amazon!).  I guess I
always feel a little depressed when I finish doing something fun and
have to face the "reality" that awaits in the dirty laundry in the
hamper, or the dirty dishes in the sink, or the pile of mail to be
sorted and handled...  you get the idea.  I also am a high-energy
person, and sitting in front of the computer for even an hour or so is
pretty depressing for me.  So even though I think the Internet is a good
thing, I can see how people can get a little depressed around it.  Mind
you, it's nothing permanent... just sort of a post-partum effect I
suppose.

Thanks for posting the article!  Very interesting!  And thanks for
listening to me...

Elizabeth Findley
Librarian/Archivist
The Education Center, Inc.
Greensboro, NC
336-851-8269
efindley@theeducationcenter.com

To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send email to