Hi fellow librarians,
        A friend sent me the information below and since librarians have
traditionally defended our patrons' right to read and communicate in
private, I thought others on the list might be interested.
        Judith Schaffner
        Librarian
        I.S. 218
        NYC
        jschaffner@labornet.org

Big Brother Wants to Know Where You Are, and With Whom You're
Communicating

The FBI is pressuring the FCC to expand the ways in which the agency can
monitor us and listen in on our private Internet communications. It has
asked the FCC for permission to use an individual's cellular phone as a
location tracking device.  It also wants access to information you send
over the Internet using e-mail and other modes of Internet communication
like ICQ, Freetel, and Netmeeting. (The FCC calls this "packet mode
communications.")

Before making its ruling on the FBI's request, the FCC is seeking
comments on whether federal law enforcement agencies should be able to
use cell phones as tracking devices and have easier access to the
content of our private Internet communications.

TAKE ACTION!

Tell the FCC that that the FBI is not authorized and should not be
allowed to track every American at will.  You can learn more about the
issue and send a FREE FAX from the ACLU web site at:

http://www.aclu.org/action/calea106.html

Note: The deadline for submitting comments to the FCC on this issue is
December 14, 1998.  Please do not forward or otherwise re-distribute
this information without including this deadline.