Hello to all,
        Please send any suggestions you have to help me with this collaborative
project.  A second grade teacher wants to do a month long unit using a
music theme that will include music appreciation and learning about
musical instruments.  Some activities will be done in the classroom,
some in the library.  I need some more book tie-ins. I have thought of
Jan Brett's Berlioz the Bear to introduce some instruments and to
conclude with a recording of Flight of the Bumblebee.  I need more ideas
like this one and we want to include as many different types of music as
possible.
        The teacher also wants to have a research element in the project that
will conclude with each student writting a brief paragraph and draw a
picture of an instrument.  A class book will be made of these pages.
Also, we may let the children make some instruments.  Any ideas about
using these or purchased rhythmn instruments to create a song or use
with a well known song  will be appreciated.
        Please send any ideas about books and tips on the research element.  I
want to do a good job with this unit to help promote collaborative
planning.
        Please send suggestions privately and I will post the results.

Thanks,
Elizabeth Dumas
Librarian
Kiroli Elementary School