I'm posting this in the interests of calmness, sanity, and saving
Macintosh owners some time, panic, and frustration.  Please consider the
following:

1)  The 18-step test that was just posted for Macintoshes basically
tests one thing:  can the Mac's operating system and hardware handle the
year 2000?

2)  The quick and definitive answer is YES.  Every Mac ever sold knows
in its hardware and in its operating system how to handle the year 2000.
[Note: this is _not_ true of all machines running DOS or Windows, or of
the old Apple II computers.]  To quote from Apple:

> The Macintosh and Mac OS have had the ability to properly handle dates
> past 1999 since the introduction of the Macintosh computer.

The oldest Macs will have troubles with dates after the year 2039; newer
Macs should continue without troubles (or without _date_ troubles, at
least!) until the year 29,940.  Yes, 29,940.

3)  Gary North, or whoever created the test, obviously doesn't know
Macintoshes very well -- if you try to follow the instructions verbatim,
you'll get stuck at the very first step ("from the Control Panel select
'Setting Date And Time'"), and at several other steps.

4)  It is conceivable that some of your _software_ is _not_ Y2K
compliant -- the oldest versions of Microsoft Excel, for example, I
believe are not (but don't quote me!); however, Mr. North's test will
not help you determine this.  It tests only the hardware and the
operating system -- which don't need testing!

For more information, please see Apple's "Apple and the Year 2000" page
(which is also the source of the quotation above):
<http://www.apple.com/macos/info/2000.html>.

-- Erik Mueller-Harder
   Trustee, South Hampton Public Library
   Volunteer, Barnard School library, South Hampton, NH
   Owner, Praxisworks: Computing Solutions for the Humanities
   No affiliation whatsoever, Apple Computer, Inc.