Thanks to all who responded to my request.  In an effort to keep things
simplified, I did not explain the original assignment in detail.  I needed
biographies that dealt with librarians as well as people prominent in the
building of libraries.  Sorry I mislabeled the subject line.  I realize, of
course, that Andrew Carnegie was not a librarian.  We used him for the
project because of his contributions towards the building of libraries and
because we found a biography that dealt specifically with this aspect of
this life.  Unfortunately, it is hard to find a good biographies about
prominent librarians!  We chose the following three books:

Irrepressible Reformer:  A Biography of Melville Dewey (thanks to the many
who mentioned this book!  It looks fascinating)

The Nation's Great Library:  Herbert Putnam & the Library of Congress (not
really a biography but fit the requirements for the assignment)

Andrew Carnegie:  Builder of Libraries

Other names mentioned were:
Ben Franklin
Thomas Jefferson
Charles Ammi Cutter
John Cotton Dana
Richard Rogers Bowker
Minnie Earl Sears
Cassanova
Mao Tse Tung
J. Edgar Hoover
Napoleon
August Strindberg
Erathosthenes
Melodye Prentiss (1968 Playmate of the Month)
Alice of Alice's Restaurant
Jorge Luis Borges
Bill Gates
Berlioz
Goethe
Golda Meir
Hypatia
Danial Boorstin
Sanford Berman
Ashurbanipal

Thanks again for all the suggestions.  I tried to thank everyone personally
but apologize if I missed someone.  Must admit that I felt somewhat foolish
for overlooking Dewey.  My mind obviously was somewhere else when my friend
dropped this on me.  Sorry also for mislabeling the subject line.  We all
work hard to earn our title of librarian.  I shouldn't have thrown the term
out so liberally and then mention someone who wasn't even a librarian
(OOPS!)

Melissa Cropper
Librarian
Georgetown Jr/Sr High School