Apologies for the post about our search for automation software.  I
recently set LM_NET to digest and when I hit reply (to respond to an
individuals post for information on automation) the response went to the
whole group.

Usually, I spend more time thinking out and writing a post to the whole
group.  As I said, we have not made a choice, but the process we are
following might be helpful for those looking.  1)A self-selected
committeee. 2)Actual copies of the programs which allow us to do
everything that we would actually do with the program. 3)loading the
programs side by side to see how they perform the same functions.
4)trying to pinpoint those things that are most important to us locally.
5)seeing presentations by all the companies --sales representatives 6)
using their tech support and then comparing our experiences 7)Trying to
grasp something about the company--stability-- parent
company--dedication to library and books 8)posting to LM_NET and asking
for people who use these systems in their current version to respond 9)
technical support people have been invovled asking lots of questions of
the vendors and finally 10)debriefing and trying to come to a consensus
about our choice.

There are no easy answers in this market and as I said--any of the
vendors we are considering are excellent.  Issues of price,
functionality, personal preference, and technical support will be the
final basis of our choice.

Karen McIntyre, Librarian
Ramirez & Guadalupe Elementary Schools
702 Ave. T -- Lubbock, TX  79401 806-766-2261

"Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart.  Try to love
the questions themselves.  Do not now seek the answers which cannot
be given because you would not be able to live them.  And the point
is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then
gradually without noticing it, live along some distant day into the
answers."                  -- Maria Rilke "Letters to a Young Poet"