At my former school I moved from a fixed schedule as a librarian covering
classes for teachers, to a flexible schedule when we began implementation
of Library Power. Fortunately, my library was large enough to  accomodate
about 80 students. Because of this, I was able to work with small groups
and  full classes flexibly, have open access and independent check-out and
still have the teachers bring their classes weekly for full class
circulation. When teachers brought their classes for circulation, they were
totally responsible for the activity, while I would be teaching in another
area of the library.

I implemented Library Power for 3 years, with circulation rising 10% each
year. The combination of open access and regular circulation periods
contributed, but so too did the new and attractive materials paid for with
Library Power funds.

Another thing that occurred through the collaboration that took place with
Library Power was that teachers began to change their methods of teaching.
In the beginning, it was all lecture and textbook-driven. At the end of 3
years more teachers were using Contructivist models, so thatteachers were
more likely to send small groups to the library.

Scores on standardized tests went up. (In fact, reading scores at all
Library Power schools were significantly higher than at non-Library Power
schools.)

I wish this story had a happy ending, but I visited my former school last
week. The school was given a $100,000 bonus for the rise in scores. The
principal has chosen to spend zero of that $100,000 on the library!

 Debra Lyman Gniewek                    dgniewek@phila.k12.pa.us

 School District of Philadelphia                (215) 299-7693
 Library Programs and Services                   Visit Our Home Page
 21st S. of the Parkway - Room 301B             http://www.phila.k12.pa.us
 Philadelphia, PA 19103

                Visit the Librarians Online Information Network
                 http://libertynet.org/education/schools/lion/lion.html