I have been wondering about this also.  Every year the literature teachers at my
elementary school sponsor a literature contest similar to Battle of the Books.
In May
they choose the approximately 50 books that will be read for the next year's
contest so that the participating schools will have time to purchase them and
students will have a good summer reading list.  Almost all of the books have
recent publication dates.  By the time school starts in August we are deluged
with calls from schools complaining that some books on the list are out of
print.  Needless to say, we are very frustrated by this.  We then have to choose
replacements and make sure everyone has the new updated list.   (Any vendors
lurking on this list are welcome to comment to me by email.)

Ellen Wiseman, Librarian
Scroggins Elementary
Houston, TX
ewiseman@wt.net

> On Sat. Jan. 31,  Elizabeth McMahon wrote:
>
> Does anyone have any statistics on how long a book stays in
>  print?  I know publishers print smaller runs and keep less inventory on
>  hand due to tax law changes several years ago but some hard and fast
>  figures would help.  Some teachers and principals in my school district
>  feel that if a book is mentioned in a bibliography  or is an "old
>  favorite" of theirs that they've used for years that it should be
> available regardless of the copyright date! Any help in explaining this
> would be appreciated.

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/