Thank you to every one for the Dr Seuss ideas.  I see several
promising ideas that I will take to my committee tomorrow.
Debbie
1.  Get the packet of Literature from the NEA. There are
stickers and
book marks and a certificate, and sample press releases.  You
might look at http://www.NEA.org I don't have the packet here,
so I am guessing at the URL.

2.  We are planning three school wide events - Guest Readers
visiting each
classroom, Dress as your Favorite Character, and School Wide
DEAR time.
We have rented a Cat in the Hat Costume, also, from a local
costume shop.
The guest readers are administrators, town council members,
school board
members, retired teachers, Chief of police and some policemen,
congressmen,
state senators, and some sports figures from Philadelphia (20
miles from
here).  I am having the invitation I made printed this weekend,
and I have
to address the envelopes so they can go out ASAP.

3.  I've served "green" eggs (made with food coloring); I have
a Dr. Seuss
bingo game (with 25 titles on the boards); I'd put together a
"Seuss Trivia"
contest and use my buzzer machine. Finally, Random House asked
erveryone to
send birthday cards to the Cat in the Hat during 1997 for its
40th birthday (&
the publisher donated books to literacy programs); why not make
birthday cards
for Ted Geisel? (That reminds me I also own a Weston Woods
filmstrip &
cassette about Dr. Seuss. (Maybe the company has a video by
this time.)
A.D.Katzer

4.  Check the Seussville webpage for activities.  I don't have
the
address right here but it is a randomhouse.com address

5.I found lots of activities at these sites:

pen.k12.va.us/Anthology/Div/Albem...em/ClassPages/White/Seuss/dr.seuss.shtml

pen.k12.va.us/Anthology/Div/Albem...Pages/White/Seuss/booktable.html

If these URL's don't work you can e-mail the creator at
     whitep@pen.k12.va.us for help!

I found them by just entering Dr. Seuss on Netscape and
searching--I don't remember which engine, sorry.

6.here I do two activities with Dr. Seuss books & food.  We
read and
then make Green Eggs and Ham.  Also we read Bartholomew and the
Oobleck
and then we "taste" oobleck which is just lime jello which has
been
whipped to a frothy light green color just before it's
completely set.
Both are great fun for all.  Hope this is helpful -

7.we have a list of 70 suggested activities on The Read In!
site...under
Event Planning...feel free..
Jane ;-)
http://www.readin.org

8.  My school is also participating in the March 2 Seuss/NEA
activity.  We are
in the process of planning an entire day of activities for our
k-5 school.
Some of these could also be used for your evening celebration.
I hope
these help...

Seuss bookmark contest
Choral reading programs
Art projects with the Art teacher
School Mural of Seuss characters
Breakfast menu of Green Eggs and Ham
Lunch menu of:  Horton hamburgers, Grinch fries, Cat in the Hat
Cookies,
and a fruit to be named later.  (students are designing lunch
bags for that

day as well)
Guest readers: High school kids, bus drivers, News
personalities, hopefully
a KC Chief football player
Evening reading activities with Birthday Cake served
Seuss dress up day (wear red and white)
The music teacher will put seuss books to music
Classroom Door decorating
Announcements over the PA system will be in "Seuss" talk

While planning this eventful day we are trying to be very
mindful of copyright!

9.  You might have silhouettes of the various characters who
were published
in his books, and have a contest "Who can name the book this
character is
from?  (year's ago I had the contest and it was a big hit)

10.  We are doing book bingo with the prizes being procedes
from book fair.  We
will be coming in our pj s and having cocoa and listening to
several
adults read aloud.  Hope this helps.

11.  The fourth grade teachers in my building are planning a
pajama party
read-in where the students wear pajamas to school and spend
most of the
day reading while curled up in sleeping bags.

--
Debra Balsam
Taylor Elementary

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/