Please share your responses.  I have to catalog all of our nonprint and
I will be doing original cataloging unless I can find something
affordable and on 1 cd to help.

Even if I do original cataloging, I would like to see some models, so if
you know of a website or even a good book that deals with AV, let me
know.

Paula Neale
plneale@aol.com

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 15:20:46 -0500
From: Joyce Rodriguez <jrodrig@gilligan.esu7.k12.ne.us>

We put the barcode on the paper cover inside the jewel case and it scans
through the case.  We also print the barcode number with permanent fine tip
felt tip pen on the CD itself in case the two get separated.
... I feel as if I'm a bit of an expert on this topic.  We have nearly
2,000 (mostly classical) CDs which I have done all original cataloging on
- in LC!

I began by putting the barcode on the jewel box, but then, when I had to
replace the top of the case, as it inevitably gets cracked, etc., I'd have
to put another bar code on.  Now I barcode the booklet, cover, etc. which
shows through the top of the jewel box.  Works just great.

I use LC subject headings for the type of music with the subheading
--RECORDED MUSIC - like OPERAS--18TH CENTURY--RECORDED MUSIC or
JAZZ--RECORDED MUSIC.

Hope this helps.  Please don't hesitate to ask again if I can help.

Diane H. Albosta, Director
David H. March Library
Episcopal High School
Alexandria, Virginia
dalbosta@osf1.gmu.edu
From: enright <enrightv@mail.on.rogers.wave.ca>
To: Pat Bartoshesky <pbarto@UDel.Edu>

Pat, wouldn't that make scanning for circulation or inventory a slow and
tedious process? Tape the barcaodes to the outside of the jewel case
where they sare easy to get at. That's my advice, for what it's worth.

Vince Enright, Head Librarian
Westminster S.S., London, Ontario

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/