Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 10:38:42 -0800
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 13:48:01 -0500
From: Gladys Furness <furness@ALDUS.NORTHNET.ORG>
Subject: REF:  Geography-"Small" countries
F     One of the Social Studies teachers in our school has requested that I
ask whether any of you know of a one-stop shopping type resource for the
"small" countries of the world, places like San Marino, Vatican
City-places that do not have much else in common other than their size.
     We're aware of the State Dept. bulletins, and the CIV World Fact
Book. Thanks in advance for your help.

Gladys Furness, Librarian
Westport Central School
Westport, NY 12993

Gladys Furness
furness@northnet.org

Founder and sole member of the Essex County NY Survivors Fan Club

"Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light"

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/
I asked for ideas on creative projects for Library Science/ Library Interns
in addition to their normal shelving, dusting, errands, etc.  Here are

        A couple of suggestions based on what HS kids have done for me...
installing CDs on the media center computers and setting up icons and
buttons to access the list of CDs in the collection; bibliographies of
excellent sites for MS and K-5 classes based on the curriculum at different
grade levels... added advantage of getting HS kids to know other level
teachers and students; We're now building an INTRANET site and HS students
are really into this... the library link has suggestions for good reading
by other kids, lists of newly discovered great Internet sites, new books in
the library, etc. etc.  Have fun with this... the kids will love it!

        I have been considering teaching one senior a year how to catalog.
They can certainly catalog the fiction--  it is hard to mess that up as it
is never complicated.  We have cataloging all on a system and all they have
to do is scroll down and it tells you what field each field is.  As the
year progresses, maybe even teach them to do easy non-fiction.  If you are
uncomfortable about that, teach them to classify with Dewey and find
headings.  This is something that is great for them to know, makes them
better at research.
        Maybe have them peruse through a Booklist and SLJ to tell you what
they think you should buy and why.  It might be interesting for them to do
that, and fun for you to see what they choose and why.  You have to explain
your criteria and why.  After YOU make selections, discuss with them why
you chose what you did and why their choices were good/bad, etc.  It is a
great experience for both of you.
        The worksheets are certainly a good idea, and not at all 'tired'.
This is VERY handy for them and will help them research in the future and
they can even assist other student sometimes.

        I have my 10-12 students complete regular assignments on a weekly
basis.  they may do some research on a country, author or controversial
topic.  They are required to use a number of resources including the "net"
and cd-roms.  They also use a word processor to type resumes.

        Have them complete annotated lists of worthwhile web sites on
topics frequently used for research at your school.  these can be kept in a
notebook or card file.  Once compiled, the aides can be assigned to check
the sites every few weeks to be certain all are operating and to search for
new sites.  Go a step further and have each aide create a web page with his
listing and have a link for each one.

        Perhaps you could design a worksheet that evaluates websites, and
have your kids rate educational or reference web pages.  They could say
what can be found there, who the authors of the site are, how useful it is,
etc.I'm always sending recommendations of websites off to different
teachers but rarely have a chance to check them out.  That way your kids
would be learning a skill (evaluating websites) and also be of service to
you and the teachers.

        Perhaps you could have them use your online catalog to prepare and
desktop publish bibliographies on certain popular subjects that could be
kept in a notebook or file for students to carry around with them.  I know
I get tired of them looking up Football over and over, and I like to be
able to hand them a sheet and say, This is what we have.  They might also
work on some bookmarks with trivia questions and answers for various annual
themes, or create displays.

        Have them storyboard out a video -- your orientation lesson, an
introduction to the school for new students and their parents.  Then let
them produce it using your video equipment.  Your admin. would probably
love that second one and the first would save you a lot of time.

        I have used my assistants to develop directions for different
software programs.  They then can help a teacher become familiar with them
and show students in the Media Center.  In addition, I try to have them
learn how to set up any equipment that we have available then can send them
out to help teachers.

        I'm having my student assistants (who also get credit) do searches
for me on the Internet.  I give a general topic -- Olympics, African
Americans --  and they look at sites and give me the URLs.  I check these
later.  You could have them working with different search engines to become
familiar with those; depending on your school's AUP these students could
act as helpers for others.
        You could also have them work with your CD-ROMs.  Another project
we did was with motion pictures.  I had the kids make a list of titles we
have that they thought were movies.  Then they'll be checking the Internet
Movie Database to see if they really were.

        A very useful skill for the future would be to have them create a
web page... can do this even if you don't have conneciton.  Lots of
instructions can be downloaded and printed for them.  They could create it
in word processor, save to disk and view it on machine wthich has web
browser.  Let them figure it out on their own.. that is realism, how many
new tech skills have *we* had to figure out ourselves?

        Some of those worksheets may still be useful even with all the
technology.  Perhaps restructuring them to include the technology would be
something to think about.  I find even with all the new technology
available students still need to know how to do the paper research and they
are quickly forgetting how.  Do you have them job shadow you?  Show them
how to fix technology problems, order books, read reviews, etc.

posted by
Kathy Bowman
Librarian
The Linfield School