PCs

First of all, thanks to all who were kind enough to send me replies-
there was an excellent response, many well thought-out, careful
replies. There is much material that we can use when making our Board
presentation. It is comforting to know that there are others out there
who have gone through these kinds of transitions and survived. After
reading all the letters, it appears that we will have to bite the
bullet and start to mix the platforms at least at the Jr. High level.
But, perhaps we can get a plan - that all important word- so that there
is a logical transition and the learning curve is not so high that our
teachers will just give up.

Some of the major points:

        In the windows environment, the differences are small

        PC is a difficult computer for little kids

        Pc's need more tech support (this was a resounding comment)

        An interesting stat: Lake Oswego, Oregon - 1 techie for every 200
MAcs, 1                 technician for every 40 PC's.

        Macs are used for graphics, web design, desktop publishing

        purchase Claris or MS works for PC's to maximize comfort in change

        Less hardware problems with PC

        Both have strengths, fewer crashes with PC

        People who push PC's do not have experience with public schools where
many    people use a computers for many purposes - often with little
training and little             tech support on hand.;

        Marvelous documentation came from Hai Ng who sent us to a web site
that contained the research of Michael J. Johnson,Deputy Superintendent
 for Instruction and Technology for the Conroe Independent School
District in Conroe, TX

The web  site is http://www.dol.net/~Ragosta/mikej.htm    I suggest
that you all check this site out.

        There were various other replies - pro and con about switching from
Mac to PC. Librarians seem passionate about this topic. Thanks to one
and all again. I always feel good after sending a reply to a Target -
and now I know how it feels to be on the receiving end.

Joan Chase

2700 Marl Oak Dr.

Highland Park, IL 60035

jchase@interaccess.com

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/