Help! My mind is blank!  What can I say to my superintendent to begin to
educate him on the importance of a strong library program at the elementary
level so he'll understand why I need a library aide?

Here's the scoop:
I am the librarian for an elementary school (preK-4) of 750 kids.  I just
got the budget proposal from the superintendent that places an aide for our
library seventeenth (17th!!!) on the priority list for additional staff.  My
principal has been very supportive about trying to get me an aide (I do prep
coverage, among other things), but it is clear that our new superintendent
doesn't see the need.  According to my principal, anything at the elementary
level gets a low priority with him.  The one thing he got us is five
computers for internet access in the library.  This is before my circulation
and search station computers are networked!  (Also, there is no room for
five more computers!)  My schedule is packed solid with prep coverage
classes.  I couldn't have ANY library program beyond book circulation if it
weren't for parent volunteers.

The one thing I will tell him for sure is that the internet computers will
not be able to be used by the students until the library has more adequate
staffing.  I can also point out that state standards set our staffing at one
LMS and TWO aides, but if he thinks elemenary libraries are fluff, that
won't help.

Netters, help me get my brains working again!  What are the things you think
would convince this guy of the value of elementary school libraries??

--
Johanna Halbeisen
Woodland Elementary School(K-4)

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/