At the AECT Conference in St Louis this week, State Council Assembly has
centered on two issues: the ongoing discussions with the International Society
for Technology Education (ISTE) and collaboration on their TelEd 98
conference, Teacher Technology Standards, and the AECT Houston conference
cosponsorship; and the AASL/AECT/ALA editions publication of Information
Power. Financial contracts and contributions were openly reviewed, as was the
thrilling announcement that a reply from Mary Ghikas, ALA Acting Executive
director has proposed a final editorial panel of AECT and AASL appointees and
publication deadline as proposed in the original agreements (March 15).
   The AECT Board approval of both documents Learning Standards and
Information Power  had occurred on Sunday, with a separate session on Monday
related to publication reply to ALA Editions. As my final motion on the AECT
Board I moved that the AECT Executive Director transmit our request to
continue the Vision Committee process to publication of the two documents,
Information Power and Learning Standards. If the AASL leadership did not wish
to continue the relationship / partnership in the development of this
document, then AECT replied to publication with conditions. The letter
received yeesterday from the ALA Acting Executive Director was critical in
moving the document to completion. AECT Affiliate Assembly members are very
appreciative to the two organizations.
  I publicly thank Mary Ghikas, Stan Zenor and our professional friends in the
affiliate organizations for this action. I look forward to the Washington, DC
Implementation programs this June 25-30 of AASL and the Summer Leadership
Conference of AECT (July 30 - August 3) in Scottsdale, AZ.

Charles White, ALA/AASL/AECT ISTE member
former member Board of Directors, AASL and AECT

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/