Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for advice on discarding
filmstrips and kits.  There are too many responses to list them all here, so I
will try to summarize the best I can.

Should I have a day for teachers to come and save what they still use?  Almost
everyone said yes I should, but to be very careful in how I do this.  People
who have done this have had good experiences, but there were a few horror
stories out there.  Teachers got upset thinking that everything had to go and
complained.  Make sure they understand that you are asking them what they
still need, and that it's not being thrown out regardless of their wishes.
Have teachers put dots or post-its with their names on items that they want
saved.

Should teachers be able to keep discarded materials?  For the most part,
people said to let the teachers have what they want and avoid making waves.  A
few people thought that if the filmstrip/kit was not good enough to be in the
library's collection, the teacher shouldn't keep it either.  Bad information
is bad information.  Some said that if even one teacher wanted it saved, it
should stay in the collection.

Should I keep filmstrips that are being used if we have videos to cover that
area?  Majority said no, throw out the filmstrip and bring those teachers into
the modern age!

The most common advice was to take this slowly if I can and try to avoid
ruffling any feathers.  Try to get the support of your principal (which I have
thankfully) and let everyone know what other things are in the collection that
they could be using also/instead.  Thanks again for all the support and
comments.  They help more than you could ever know.
I'll see you all on that midnight run to the dumpster!

Laura Burns, librarian
Dansville Elementary
LauraLib@aol.com

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/