I teach 1 - 4. I wrote the curriculum. I follow written lesson plans which
I write each week. I do have some prior year stuff from other teachers,
but there was as not a full time-teaching librarian before me. I am not
quite sure how to assess or evaluate my proigram.

I don't give any grades at all.

I never give grades.  I want the library to be a fun place where students
want to come.  If I were to give grades I feel that would defeat that
purpose.  I use games (whole class or cooperative group) as a way of
assessing student progress.  I leave the grades to the classroom
teacher.  This has worked better for me that anything else I have tried.

I have to submit both academic and effort grades for students in
grades 1-6.  I hate submitting grades for the younger
children--basically, I am asking them to listen and respond when I
read a story.  How do you grade that?  So, everyone gets the highest
grade possible unless there's a HUGE problem.

Starting in grade 3, it's much easier to grade the students because
we do have a library curriculum that includes worksheets, etc.  To
some extent, I'm fairly lenient with the grades.  I give the students
multiple opportunities to correct their work.  My theory is:  if
someone asks you for information (even as an adult) and you can't
find it the first time, you should keep on looking.  So, I tell the
students to "keep on looking" until they get it correct.  Then they
receive an A.

I am required to give academic grades, therefore I give written work
which I correct and grade.  Our grades go from 4 to 1.  Children who
get almost everything right get a 4, most of the others get 3, a few
get 2 and usually no one gets 1.

Dear Colleagues,
I was asked to post a "HIT" when I received responses to my query about
grading in library programs.  It appears that there is no consistency in
library programs across the country.  Maybe it's time that we worked on some
national standards.  I think that INFORMATION POWER is very useful in that it
does describe the "ideal".  In Reading the mail sent through LM_NET, however,
it does not take much time to realize that there are serious problems with
library programs throughout the U.S.A.  I am very frustrated with this because
librarians, in general, are very erudite and are able to express themselves
extremely well.  What is the problem!?  Fear of loosing the job, fear of being
deemed too aggressive, fear of stepping on toes...?  Or...is erudition the
problem?  Are we out of touch with reality?

Talk is cheap.  Whatever happened to the idea of the "Poor Man's University".?
LMS(s) are too compliant, too willing to take whatever _ _ _ _ is thrown at
them, and, worst of all, are willing to work above and beyond the call of duty
to ensure that tasks for which they are not given enough time to complete
during the school day are completed after hours.

I am split between two schools, see approx. 750 students per week in grs. 1-6,
have no aide, all classes are scheduled 45 minutes per week and I am required
to give all students academic grades.  We have a district wide curriculum that
I follow (1988).  I integrate whenever possible and have developed many
wonderful projects in conjunction with teachers.  I, however, use MY
preparation time to do this, leaving no time to accomplish other "clerical"
tasks.  I am a member of the NEA and am covered under our CBA as a teacher
whose work day = 6 hours and 45 minutes.  I REFUSE  to work after hours.  For
the grades, I use various forms of assessment, including tests, papers,
projects, presentations, etc.  When questioned by parents (who don't really
know the difference between an academic grade and an effort grade) as to why
their child(ren) received such a grade, I must be able to show documentation
that supports the grade.

The LMC is, of course, misused (not used as a resource).  But, in my district,
the squeaky wheel does not get the oil.  The other LMSs) see to that by doing
what they think they should be doing...working with a $1,000 per year budget,
working after hours, and saying things like, "Things won't change, not in your
lifetme and not in mine."

I love my job, believe in it strongly, and love working with the kids.  I,
however, see big problems in this profession, and I blame it on us!

Attached are the responses I received.

Good luck,
Roberta Ricci, LMS
R.C LaPerche Elementary School
Smithfield, R.I.
RRicci4009@aol.com

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/