Here are the responses to my query on Library Skills.  A few days ago I
receieved a solicitation for a 30 day exam of the first program mentioned,
so...we'll see.

Sharon Blumenstein, Emek Hebrew Academy Library, Sherman Oaks, Ca
shablu@aol.com

nelsonk@bethany.mca.tc.edu.tw (Kathy Nelson)

 I really like "Hooked on Library Skills" by Marguerite Lewis and
Pamela J. Kudla from The Center for Applied Research in Education, West
Nyack, NY  c1988  ISBN 0-87628-408-X.  The lessons are written up in small
bites that can be done in 15 to 20 minutes of teaching.  Sometimes I have a
time crunch to get it done, but usually it  works very well.  I have used
this for 4 or 5 years now and my book is beginning to come apart, it has
been used so much.  Each grade builds on the previous years lessons.  Most
of the activities are well recieved by the students.

..>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
:       timothy@philadelphia.libertynet.org (Sister Sally Daly)

I rarely use packages.  I think about what I'd like to do and try it.
Today, I gave out 30 biographies on African Americans.  I had the kids do
this:
1.Name:
2.born:
3.died:
4: figure out why this book would be written about him or her.

I tried to tell them how they could find this in CIP.  Sort of they would
be privy to info that I use all the time.  In two cases, the books did
not have the born/died/summary:  Wilt Chamberlain, Phyllis Wheatley
because my books were so old.

Each child then put the person's name on a time line I made from
1800-2000.  I had it lined for every 25 years.

I did this all day today with four classes of grade 5.  There was enough
difficulty to keep some busy while the speedos were filling in their
information.  Books were selected and checked out, copybooks marked, kids
were in line in 35 minutes.  Next crowd came in.
Tomorrow, I will do the same lesson with the students in our Learning
disabled class in grades 7-8.
Yesterday, I did it with learning disabled in grades 5-6.  Becuase they
stayed longer, I interviewed them to find out who they researched and we
all spoke into the tape recorder.

I am killing three birds:  Black history, biography in general, reference
and research.  I had the kids in learning disabled classes check the info
in the world book.

I  like the reproducible worksheets  in The Complete Library Skills by Linda
Turrell, published by T.S. Denison & Co., Inc., copyright 1994.  There is a
book
for K-2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.  Although many of the activities are geared to a
paper
card catalog, they can be adapted to on online catalog.  I use this series as
framework and supplement with lots of games and hands on activities.
    The activity sheets which go with The World Almanac for Kids are great and
the kids enjoy the challenge.

Joanne Michaels LMS
micha@execpc.com

SHARNDT@gw.kckps.k12.ks.us (Sharon Arndt)

I like the series by T.S. Dennison called The Complete Library Skills
series.  There is a book for each grade level.  Linda Turrell is the author
of the Fourth grade book.
School Librarian's Almanac and other titles by The Center for Applied
Research in Education, Inc. have some great ideas for lessons.
They are located in West Nyack, New York, 10994

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/