 If we assume that the parent/administrator/board member is challenging
our professional integrity, if we assume that there is a challenge to
our user's right to read, if we assume there might be some "hidden
agenda," then we as librarians sometimes fail to take a constructive
approach to materials challenges.

I find that challenges to materials can be a healthy and productive
process.

We know that most parents (etc.) have the best interests of those under
their care at heart.  We know that some parents (etc.) have very
positive ideas of what their child should and should not be exposed to
in order for them to develop as healthy adults.  What they must also
know is that we librarians also want their child to develop into
positive individuals, that we, too, are concerned about their child.

What seems to happen, unfortunately, is that some requests are botched
from the beginning by a school secretary or administrator -  "fill out
the form and we will look at it" is NOT acceptable.  "Have you talked
with your librarian?" is.  "Make an appointment" is NOT, "let's talk
about it when you are free" is.  A cup of coffee and total committment
to discussion of the problem can resolve the issue faster than any
review committee.

Does this work every time?  Of course not.  There are, in far too many
instances, cases of "hidden agendas" - a parent who has had an
unsatisfactory experience somewhere else in the school, a group who uses
parents to challenge any materials unfavorable to their particular point
of view, a Board member who firmly believes his/her education was far
superior to todays.....   The problem here is not particularly that of a
specific material, but a desire for power, and, often, a frustration at
not having it.  We, as librarians, are often the brunt of this.  For
these, many can be re-routed with a simple discussion by showing we care
not only about their children, but about themselves as parents, board
members, etc.

The final stage, for those who will not discuss, will not understand, is
the standarized Challenged Materials Procedures that should be available
in every district.  But use it as a last resort.  Be sure your secretary
and administrators know your willingness to discuss and are able to
transmit that message to any challenger.  Be sure you can relate to
helping the child develop and what part this particular material can
play in that development.

--
Earl Sande, Upper School Librarian,
International School of Tanganyika,

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/