Hello everyone.  Here we go again ... time for Round 2.

I've been trying to catch up on my ordering over vacation, and it seems the
more I try, the more confused I get over which CD-ROM's to buy.  At present we
have 2 copies of GME'95, Software Toolsworks Encyclopedia, Jr. DISCovering
Authors v.1, the new Webster's Biographical Dictionary, and that's about it.
We need general reference titles, production CD's (graphics enhancements, art
work, video, etc.) as well as curriculum-related titles for social studies,
science ... name it!  We are all but at the beginning of developing a
collection.

I was wondering if I could tap into your experience with CD's?  I am in a
middle school (grades 6-8) but would like to buy both a little above and a
little below my actual grade levels to meet the needs of my population.  Right
now the budget is healthy so I can afford to take a look at a good number of
titles.  I have been told that I will be buying for individual teachers as
well as the Media Center from my budget so that Media maintains control over
the "well-being" of the materials.

In terms of hardward, we are a PC school.  I have six stand-alone stations in
a research-only minilab in the Media Center proper, 27 networked computers in
the adjacent lab (only one of which has a CD -- at present), and six out in
reading classrooms in the building.  By next fall, there will be two major
labs, one multimedia and one word processing oriented, the minilab, and a
computer in each classroom, all networked and Internet accessible.  We will
have the building's server and a seven station CD tower in the Media Center.
So ... I need to look at networkable v. individual CD's v. lab packs,
reference and/or curriculum-related CD's, anything v. everything.

I have been pouring over catalogs for months now but keep coming back to the
same problems in deciding which to buy.  One title begins to look like
another.  Some have  abbreviated recommendations but that still doesn't say
whether it works for your patrons.  That's where I'm hoping you can help.

What are the top FIVE titles -- reference, subject, and/or production -- that
YOU
    could absolutely NOT LIVE WITHOUT?  Why?

What are the top FIVE titles -- reference, subject, and/or production -- that
YOUR
    PATRONS -- students and/or teach ers -- use the most?  Why?

What new REFERENCE CD's are you constantly on the lookout for?  Why?
What new SUBJECT CD's are you constantly on the lookout for?  Why?
What new PRODUCTION CD's are you constantly on the lookout for?  Why?

Which do you wish you had more of  -- single title CD's, lab packs,
networkable
    CD's?  Why?

Is there anything about your experience with CD's I didn't ask but you think I
should
    know?

I promise that I will post a hit with this information; your patience is
requested as to when however!

Once again, you were my first thought when I needed help -- what a fantastic
group this is!

Kate Brown, Media Director
LaBookWorm@aol.com
Westport Middle School
Westport, MA

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/