WOW!! You folks are amazing! And fast! My teacher is quite impressed to have
pages of your thoughts in his hands less than 24 hours after making the
initial request for information.
Here's what you've told me regarding students doing genealogical research on
the WEB, both the positives and the negatives. Thanks so much to all who took
the time to respond!

Try the Family Tree Maker site at
http://www.familytreemaker.com/index.html. It has a lot of information
for beginners.
-------------------------------
Probably the best website on genealogy is Cyndi's list at
      http://www.oz.net/~cyndihow/

It is extremely well organized, and well kept up.  I can also recommend
her book _Netting Your Ancestors_ on using the www for research in family
history.  The book is going into its second printing now, and she has been
offered a contract for additional books on the subject.
-------------------------------
I've done a fair amount of genealogy work using internet resources.  If the
teacher or kids exepct they will find something specific about their
families, they will probably be disappointed.  there are lots of neat
places to go just for general information,but depending upon the
ages/interest level of the students, it may not be what the teacher is
hoping for.
-------------------------------
Absolutely, it's worth it. Thanks to the web, I've discovered

- family members all over the world
- the history of my family's villages in Eastern Europe
- unexpected surname origins (my now, now Carvin, was once Karawan, a
name used by Tunisian rabbis in the 12th century

and a whole lot more. And because I've put all my research online, anyone
else with the name Carvin or Karawan can do a search and find it.
Personally, I use http://www.jewishgen.org as my main source, and would
recommend it to anyone research jewish genealogy. I'm sure there are lots
of other good sites out there as well...
-------------------------------
The prime site for general genealogy stuff is Roots-Web. The following is
copied from the boiler-plate on one of today's e-mail summaries:

Administrivia:
12 December 1987 to 12 December 1997: Ten years of ROOTS-L!
Search ten years of archived messages at:
    http://searches.rootsweb.com/roots-l.html

This ROOTS-L digest has been distributed by RootsWeb.  RootsWeb's home
page is at
    http://www.rootsweb.com/

If you would like to unsubscribe from ROOTS-L, send to
ROOTS-L-request@rootsweb.com the message "unsubscribe" (without the
quotation marks).  Don't include your address, your signature, or
anything in the message body except that one word.  (Do this also
if you want to shift to NOMAIL mode, then just resubscribe later.)

Roots is mostly USA, altho' there occasionally messages from Germany or
from Belgium; since the language used in the messages is English, that
somewhat limits the overseas contributions.

The following is today's list of sites, found using Inference:

Misc. Commercial Sites

       Bob Fieg's Genealogy Home Page
       DANIEL e-mail list TreeCrazyD's AOL Genealogy Page
       Genealogical Journeys In Time - A Genealogy Adventure and
Discovery of...
       Genealogy Book publishing, book publishing, genealogy book, gedcom
to book
       Genealogy: Goff Family History
       Helm's Genealogy Toolbox
       Introduction to Don Norman's West Virginia Genealogy Files
       Janyce's ROOT DIGGIN' DEPT. (genealogy) INDEX
       Marc Nozell's Genealogy Web Site
       Stephen Foote's Genealogy Home Page
       The Genealogy Home Page
       TREASURE MAPS - the How-to Genealogy Site - Main Menu
       WebCrawler Guide Recreation: Genealogy
       Yahoo! - Arts:Humanities:History:Genealogy:Organizations:Regional
& Ethnic
       Yahoo! - Regional:U.S. States:Illinois:History:Genealogy

Misc. Educational Institution Sites

       Afrigeneas
       Need a simple way to make HTML genealogy web pages with Windows95.
       The Library of Virginia Genealogy Home Page

Misc. Non-Profit Sites

       Genealogy of Quebec's Native People and Francophone Metis
       Genealogy Online
       WWW Genealogy Demo Page

Misc. European Sites

       Genealogy in Galway, West of Ireland
       Links from Mayo on the Move

Misc. Australian Educational Institution Sites

       Malcolm L. Goddard's Bookmarks

Misc. European Commercial Sites

       GENEALOGY

Misc. European Educational Institution Sites

       GENUKI: UK + Ireland Genealogy

Misc. Internet Provider Sites

       Genealogy

Misc. US Federal Government Sites

       Using Maps in Genealogy

The URL for Inference is:
http://www.inference.com/ifind/

Good luck. You have to read a lot of non-applicable stuff to find what
you're looking for, but when you do, it's wonderful and exciting!
-------------------------------------
Try some of these sites:

Ancestors
http://www.kbyu.byu.edu/ancestors.html

Ancestry Home Town
http://www.ancestry.com

Everton=D5s Geneaological Helper
http://www.everton.com/

Family Tree Maker=D5s Genealogy Site
www.familytreemaker.com/srchzz.html

Genealogy Home Page
http://www.genhomepage.com/

Geneaology Libraries Around the World
http://www.genealogy.org/~holdiman/LSG/libraries.html

Genealogy Resources on the Internet
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~pmg/Genealogy.html

Janyce=D5s Root Diggin=D5 Dept.
http://www.janyce.com/gene/rootdig.html

Journal of Online Genealogy
http://www.onlinegenealogy.com/

National Archives
http://www.nara.gov/genealogy/

Switchboard Home Page
http://www2.switchboard.com
Geocities is one place that provides many sites for genealogy work.  There
are pages for almost every county in the nation, now - with the usual
information about libraries, collections.  The full data for these
resources is not online - but you can get the addresses of places to write
- and the cost of documents.

Check out http://www.geocities.com   and see if you think there will be
enough info available.  Maybe the teacher could help the students start a
local genealogy project.

Jody Gerlock, Librarian, Upper School        phone (609) 924-6700 ext. 241
Princeton Day School                                    fax (609) 924-7278
P.O. Box 75, The Great Road              email: Jody_Gerlock@pds.k12.nj.us
Princeton, NJ 08542

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/