Erica wrote:

> Hello.  Yesterday morning I read a posting from someone who questioned
> company representatives calling in responce to a posting.  I had also
> posted a question to the group and recieved phone calls from an anxious
> representative from a publishing company.  I posted to obtain information
> from fellow professionals who have experience using books and other
> sources with students, not to receive a sales pitch phone call.  I found
> it offensive and somewhat intrusive.  Am I toally off base here?

No, I don't think you are off-base. I think it's unfortunate that some
companies join listservs just to track down potential customers and pitch
product to them. But it's nothing really new - I get tons of unsolicited
emails due to my activity on listservs and USENET. But I rarely get phone
calls. When I do, I tell them I'm not interested and to remove me from
their list. And if they're dumb enough to mention that they got my name
from spying on a listserv, I do my best to chastize them about it.

So yes, these things happen, and they're annoying. But I wouldn't get too
upset about it. Participating in any public forum exposes you to people
you may not want to hear from. But it also exposes you to all the people
you _do_ want to hear from. The best thing to do is to ignore it, and when
it does happen, let them know that you don't appreciate it.

ac

   WW                           Andy Carvin
  /__\                          andy@gsn.org
 | oo |    _WWWWW_
(|_()_|)  /  o o  \    (+)(+)   New Media
  \__/  (|  __o__  |) /      \  Project Officer
Come Visit The EdWeb Project at http://edweb.gsn.org

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/