I want to thank everyone for their replies to my request for information on
computer to tv converters for the Mac.  Several people indicated they were not
happy with what they had, and many requested a hit:

From: Chuck Finnigan <cfinnigan@swsd.wednet.edu>
If you can afford them, look into LCD projectors...

From: George W. Bynum
IMHO, with which my wife totally disagrees, they are useful only for things
that do not need high resolution; even good modern TVs cannot
support 640x480 VGA with good detail.  For internet training, or
showing something on the screen while the students see the same thing
on the monitors on their desks, they are fine.

There are large screen monitors now that will do 640x480, and maybe
that will do 800x600.  Although the $$$ are high, all real users of
technology of this type use projectors.  A pretty good 640x480 is
probably available in the $2000 range ... but I've not looked lately.
The 1024x768 I want for work is over $10,000.  My boss laughs.

From: DAVE@THAMES.LBE.EDU.ON.CA (dave@thames.lbe.edu.on.ca)
_*Any*_ PC to TV converter will give only marginal results. We are using
a new AverKey3 (last June), and are fairly happy with its results.
However, the results are dependent on many factors, the two most
important are...

1. Connect to a TV by an S Video link. This definitely improves the
quality.

2. Use a high quality (read expensive) large screen TV (a 34 inch Sony
is what we have). This is critical, as the screen definition on a TV is
much lower than that of a monitor. Far better (if you can afford it) is to
purchase a large screen computer
monitor (not likely for most of us)

From: "Salerno, Christopher" <salernoc@cfbisd.edu>
We have decided to use the Zenith presentation TV's that come with an internal
scan converter.  They cost a little more, but in quantity it's
not bad.  For our older sets we use their external converter, which
comes in at $249.00.  It has zoom capability and provides great clarity.
It is also 600x800, so you see the whole computer desktop on the screen.
We have 1200 classrooms with teacher workstations, and we're slowly
putting either a new Zenith or a retro external scan converter in each
classroom.

From:   IN%"Michael.Buller@mps.k12.mi.us"
If you want excellent quality you would be better off purchasing
video projectors.  They cost around $2,800 and can be used with a VCR to
show videotapes or with a computer.  You need a dark classroom and can
project an image as large as the wall screens you have. It may be
impractical to put one in every classroom but you can put one on a cart
with a VCR and a computer, and easily move it from classroom to
classroom.  We have Sharp and an Eiki projectors.

IN%"mswist@asij.ac.jp"  "Martin Swist"
We have several computer to TV converters in our school manufactured by thre
BOFFIN Company.  I am not satisifed with their results, either. I do not
recommend them.

In Japan we have a set on the market that, I believe,  is advertised as both
a TV and monitor.  It is not a full-blown monitor, yet the resolution form
this 29" unit is very good.  I can use it in a classroom and everyone can
read the text from a www site.

The local cost for one set, cart and strap is approximately US $3,000.
(This is the kind of expenditure I try to get the PTA pay for)

From: Sheree Wu <ramonalib@hotmail.com>
I started buying Gateway Destination Computers
when it became availabe 2 years ago and never regreted the decision I
made.

The money you saved using a converter is minimum but the quality of the
resolution and the simplicity in cabling is well worth the difference.
Take a look before you buy another converter.

From: Margie Merrill <merrillm@hotmail.com>
I purchased an averkey and returned it because I also purchased a TVator
that works much better. I have a 50 inch screen in the library and it
can be read perfectly from the back of the room with the TVator. It is the best
device for projectirom the computer that I have seen and
very inexpensive. The deluxe model was less than the Averkey.

From: "Charlotte E. Brown" <cbrown@BIDDEFORD.COM>
I have purchased the TVator Remote by Antec and am pleased with the
results. I need to point out that I have a low expectation of the clarity
possibilites of one of these devices. It is difficult to see close up and
uncomfortable to look at for a long time. I understand, though, that it is
better than the others of similar ilk and it is certainly easy to use. It
is a plug and play device with no software to muck with. It has an overscan
which focuses the picture and a zoom feature.

The local A-V salesman tried to convince me to buy averkey but luckily I
had researched this on this listserv and TVator Remote was the clear I have
purchased the TVator Remote by Antec and am pleased with the
results. I need to point out that I have a low expectation of the clarity
possibilites of one of these devices. It is difficult to see close up and
uncomfortable to look at for a long time. I understand, though, that it is
better than the others of similar ilk and it is certainly easy to use. It
is a plug and play device.

Ellen Johanson
Calhoun High School Library
Merrick, NY  11566

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/