Hello,

In addition to working toward my master's degree, I work for the Office
of New York State Parks in Niagara Falls, NY.  To answer your question
regarding travel across the local bridges to Canada, having lived in the
area my entire life, I would say it is relatively easy to commute.
However, as a tourist, recommend you do bring along proof of
citizenship.  The US Immigration office at the Rainbow Bride in Niagara
Falls NY may be reached at 716-282-3141, there is also a 24 hour number
which is 716-849-6760.  The Peace Bridge, located between Buffalo, NY
and Fort Erie, Ontario & the Rainbow Bridge, located between Niagara
Falls, NY & Niagara Falls, Ontario both get congested during the summer
if you are crossing by car.  They are approx. 25 miles apart.

While both sides of the Falls offer views, I recommend you visit the US
side.  The views are spectacular and you can get much closer to the
rapids and falls than on the Canadian side.  Go to the New York State
Park located in Niagara Falls, NY.  You can purchase a Master Pass at
the Park's Visitor Center and for $20/adult & $15/child (6-12) you can
enjoy the following attractions:

Observation Tower - Maid of the Mist boat ride - Viewmobile - Cave of
the Winds (kids must be 42") -Schoellkopf Archeological Museum -
Aquarium of Niagara Falls - see a movie in our Visitor Center.

There are also many other attractions near such as Old Fort Niagara &
ArtPark.

Don't miss the Falls lit up in the evening.  From Niagara Reservation
State Park there are many things close that you can enjoy.  You can also
walk across the Rainbow Bridge to the Canadian side.

The city of Niagara Falls has many fine restaurants and hotels.  For
this info. contact the Niagara Falls Convention & Visitors Bureau at
716-285-2400.

There is a website you may want to visit for further info at:

http://www.global2000.net/preview/nyspark/maps/niagara.html

I hope this helps.  If you need any other info. call our Visitor's
Center at 716-278-1796 or you may email me at jlkk@acsu.buffalo.edu

I hope your friends enjoy their visit to the Falls

Janice Kowalski-Kelly
MLIS student
jlkk@acsu.buffalo.edu