From: Susan Calcari [mailto:scal@cs.wisc.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 1998 5:02 PM

NEW-LIST Moves to the Internet Scout Project

For the past 9 years Marty Hoag and the North Dakota University System have
provided the NEW-LIST mailing list as a very useful service to the Internet
community. NEW-LIST has been one of the best and most reliable services on
the Internet since it was introduced in January of 1989 -- back in the Dark
Ages before the Web as we know it today was born, or for that matter, even
before Gopher. The NEW-LIST mailing list has kept us all informed of new
mailing lists on the Internet in an efficient, friendly manner, due to
Marty's faithful moderation during the entire length of the service. Two of
the Scout Project's services, the Scout Report and Net-happenings, have
certainly benefited from Marty's work.

All of us here at the Internet Scout Project are proud to announce that
starting today we will be providing the NEW-LIST mailing list under the
moderation of Gleason Sackman, who also serves as the editor of the
Net-happenings service and moderator of the Net-Newsletters and K-12
Newsletters mailing lists.

With Marty's help we have done what we could to make the transition as
seamless as possible, however there may be some unforseen problems at the
start. Please send mail immediately to gleason@rrnet.com if you have a
question or are experiencing any problems.

The NEW-LIST website (http://scout.cs.wisc.edu/new-list/) has the same
basic format as the Net-happenings and Net-Newsletters websites. Also,
postings to the NEW-LIST mailing list will have the same posting schedule
as Net-happenings: postings will be made throughout the day until 3pm
CST/CDT, Monday - Friday. A fresh archive of NEW-LIST mailings will be
established and will hold all postings sent to the list beginning July 1,
1998. To search for a posting before that date, please refer to the archive
(http://LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU/archives/new-list.html) still maintained by
the North Dakota University System.

A hearty "Thank You" to Marty for all his work and to the North Dakota
University System for supplying the necessary resources to make this a great
service over the past 9 years. We have posted an acknowledgement of their
work as the founders and previous maintainers of this list on all the
NEW-LIST Web pages. We hope to continue to provide the high level of service
you've come to expect.

Feel free to send any comments or suggestion to Gleason or myself at the
addresses below.

Best regards,

Susan

Gleason Sackman   gleason@rrnet.com
Susan Calcari    scal@cs.wisc.edu

Project Director                                National Science Foundation
Internet Scout Project
Computer Sciences Department             scal@cs.wisc.edu
1210 W. Dayton Street                               phone: 608.265.8042
University of Wisconsin -- Madison         http://scout.cs.wisc.edu/
Madison, WI 53706

The Scout Report: "...People Magazine of the Netheads."
(uuhh wait.. is that a compliment??  ;-)