The other day I sent the following request:

> Sometime ago I read a suggestion for a bulletin board with a stars or
> space theme using Christmas lights.  Today I looked for it and can't
> find it. --

Thanks to everyone who responded.  No one had saved the bulletin board idea
and I still haven't found that one, but there were some similar ideas
mentioned.   I'm posting the other ideas in two parts.

I don't recall the suggestion about the Christmas lights but this past
Christmas I made a bulletin
board of a night time winter theme.  I randomly taped two strands of the
small white Christmas tree lights to the back of black paper.  I then hung
the paper up on the top part of a bulletin board.   The bottom part I
covered with white paper.  Then using polyester batting I made "snow" on the
white paper, sprayed silver glitter on the black paper, and made a winter
wildlife scene.  Of course if one look closely at some of the animals one
would notice that they were reading books and/or listening to books on tape.
With half the lights in the library turned off and the bulletin board lights
plugged in, I must admit it really looked pretty.  When I turned all the
library lights off it was beautiful.

I remember seeing that somewhere too; I'd bet Mailbox.  You attach your
lights
to the board first; then cover them with paper, poking lights through paper.

I previously taught in a Pre-K through 5 school in FL where we had an annual

space study.
A favorite with our students is using the huge plastic bags blown up by fans

to create "outer space".  We entered through a large refrigerator box
decorated to resemble a space ship.
For our culminating activity we had centers throughout the school.  One of
the
favorites was using the overhead to create a poster of an alien!  Others
were
more curriculum oriented--laser disc stations with information on the
planets,
star mapping, short NASA video, and space craft design.

Let me hear if you get any response, our entire school (k-3) will have the
AR awards theme of something to do with space next year.  Not sure what all
the principal will do but it is space.  I plan to fix up a little room off
the library as a mock planetarium and use if for special storytimes etc.

I have a program called Holiday lights.  Don't know where I
downloaded it from.  But it sounds similar.

Carol again.
I found the Holiday lights program.  It is a shareware screen saver and is
really neat.  There are many variations and it has music, too.  Not really
space related, but fun.  Here's one site that has it.  The name is
lights95.zip.

http://www.intelligent.net/resources/graphics/

In the second part, I'm sending more URLs.

Carol Wheat, Librarian
Parkway Christian Academy
Birmingham, AL
cwheat@bellsouth.net