As we near the end of the school year, here are a few things I have been
looking for all year long to simply share with all of you in whichever
capacity you might be able to utilize them ...

<center>**********************

</center>The first is a little composition which might be used as a
written reminder about who really is in charge... entitled

<center>"I am me. . ."

</center>

<center>Everything that I am is uniquely me.

No one who ever lived in the past, who is alive anywhere in the world
today, or who will ever live in the future will be exactly like me.
Everything that has happened to me in my past contributes to the new
person I will become tomorrow.  I have complete control and
responsibility over my actions, my thoughts, my emotions, my behavior,
and my intellectual growth for building "the new me."  The setbacks and
difficulties of the past and the obstacles of today prepare me socially,
intellectually, and emotionally for my successes in the future.  People
all around me want me to be successful in life, but success only comes to
those who truly want it and are willing to work very hard and very long
to obtain it.

I must always remember that success in life is a lifelong journey and NOT
a simple destination of any kind.  People who are successful in one area
of their lives continue to be successful in everything they do.  My
success is defined by my own desires and goals in life.  I can set my
goals anywhere I so desire.  I do not threaten anyone through my pursuit
of personal success and should not feel threatened by anyone else's
personal success.

In fact, just the opposite is true; the more people I help to reach their
personal successes, the closer I get to my own personal success.

**********************

</center>Here are a few haiku for the helping hands. . .

<center>GROWING

Children hard at play

So much growing left to do...

Should they grow to learn?

LEARNING

Students hard at work

So much educating left...

Can they learn to live?

LIVING

Students lost in class

Searching for the easy life...

Will they find their way?

FINDING

Teachers trying hard

Sharing hopes, dreams, ideas...

Can they do it all?

LOSING

Teachers do their best

Experiencing lost souls...

Crying in the dark. . .

WINNING

Teachers work for years

Counting the thanks on one hand...

Students send their kids. . .

**********************

My personal contributions to the poetic error messages...

( from http://www.moniz.org/poetry.htm )

*** Reflections ***

by Earl J.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Competitors come.

Computers abound cheaply.

Oh No! Not Windows!

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Many kids compute.

Use catalog and Inet.

Sticky keys remain.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Computer gods live.

After restore and reboot.

"My Novel" is found!

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Dinosaurs did rule.

Ruthless tyrants ate others.

Much like computers.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Squinting in the night.

Lightning darkened the town.

Only laptops work.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Met online at eight.

Self-described as stunning...

Hmmmm, blue eyes or green?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Database training.

Fields, records, and long filenames.

Where did data go?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Spreadsheet training class.

Formulas and many cells.

What is 2 times 2?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Much work to do now.

Haiku more fun than study.

Paper due Monday!

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Born on Valley Isle.

Home now, North Carolina.

Aloha y'all.

**********************

</center>And a final barrage of answers which tends to confirm the Mark
Twain notion that the "most interesting information comes from children,
for they tell all they know and then stop."

Collected mostly from 5th and 6th graders. . .oh, to have their wit and
simplistic veiwpoints ...   8-)

- One horsepower is the amount of energy it takes to drag a horse 500
feet in one second.

- You can listen to thunder after the lightning and tell how close you
came to getting hit.  If you don't hear it, you got hit, so never mind.

- When they broke open molecules, they found they were only stuffed with
atoms.  But (and what a big butt it is!) when they broke open atoms, they
found them stuffed with explosions!

- When people run around and around in circles, we say they are crazy (or
they might be considered big wheels if they are rich).  When planets do
it, we say they are just orbiting.

- While the earth seems to knowingly keeping its distance from the sun;
it is really one centrificating.

- Most science books now say our sun is a star (stars only come out at
night).  But (and what a big butt it is!) it still knows how to change
back into a sun during the daytime.

- A vibration is a motion that cannot make up its mind which direction it
wants to go!

- Many dead animals of the past changed to fossils; others preferred to
be oil.

- Vacuums are nothings.  We only mention them to let them know we know
they're there.

- Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun.  I have
never been able to make out any of the numbers.

- We say the cause of the perfume disappearing is evaporation.
Evaporation gets blamed for a lot of things people forget to put the top
on.

- I am not sure how clouds get formed.  But ( and what a big butt it is!)
the clouds know how to do it and that is the important thing.

- In making rain, it takes everything from H to O.

- Rain is saved up in cloud banks.

- Cyanide is so poisonous that one drop of it on a dog's tongue will kill
the strongest man.

- Thunder is a rich source of loudness.

- Isotherms and isobars are even more important than their names sound.

And my favorite of all time. . .

- It is so hot in some parts of the world, that the people there have to
live in other places!

Kinda like the old joke about not being able to get there from here, you
have to go somewhere else first!

Aloha... and have a nice summer vacation - those of you in a traditional
scheme...

Aloha y'all. . .

        Earl J. Moniz ( http://www.moniz.org )

                WebComposer, LifeLong Learner, and Librarian

                        earlj@moniz.org OR emoniz@nccu.edu

.

just doing the best I can with what I have from where I am. . ."

Fayetteville, North Carolina

</center>