Thank you all*very* much for responding to my question about the
necessity of having a sink in the media center. Responses came back to
me immediately from almost every state!  I was able to compile a list of
your responses, showing that across the country the majority of
librarians feel that having a sink IS important.  Now for the best part:
I heard the other day that my sink has been approved! Your help was
indispensable!  Because I received so many responses-but the information
is basically the same- I will include enough replies to be helpful for
anyone else facing this battle.  If you responded to me and don’t see
your note, please know that I appreciated every single one.

************************************
>From P.M., CA:
A sink is absolutely essential. The dust from handling books is
tremendous! You would otherwise be leaving the library to wash your
hande
several time a day for dust alone, not to mention glue, ink, etc.
Also, a rest room is essential as well for you and your staff (and
possibly students as well if you are able to supervise the key.)
I have never worked in a library without a sink at the very least!
**************************************
>From J.S., AR:
Karen - I got to help plan the center I am currently working in and
one of the things I insisted on for our workroom was a sink.  We use
it for cleaning bookcovers when books come back all yucky, for
cleaning equipment in the spring before it is put up for the summer,
for cleaning up after student projects, for cleaning up after the
library is used as a meeting place for faculty, PTA board meetings,
parent nights, bookfairs, technology night, etc.  We only ended up
with a small sink, not a double like I had asked for, but it's
certainly better than nothing.
>From F.C., UT:
Our district remodeled or built several new media centers a few years
ago.  Every one of them includes a sink.  Book cleaning and repair,
moistening certain book related items, mixing some book cleaners,
cleaning hands after handling books, keeping tables and furniture clean,
providing water for or cleaning up after functions held in the library
media center are all valid reasons for putting in a sink.  Restrooms and
water fountains nearby are not adequate for the water needs of a media
center.
If your Media Center will be used for meetings and other functions (and
it seems most are), a sink will be very helpful.
>From S.L., MD:
Yes, you absolutely do need a sink!
1)cleaning (actual washing!) of book covers
2)working with materials as you repair and/or process books
3)hosting the various community meetings and school gatherings that seem
to require
        punch be served and/or other drinks and snacks
I've *never* seen a media center that did not have a sink in the
workroom!
>From R.Z., PA:
Hard to believe that something as innocuous as a sink could
cause so many problems...but you are absolutely right.  We have a sink
in
our library, and it is an essential necessity.  Handling books and
magazines
can be messy, especially if they are old, dusty, and haven't been used
in a
while.  Also, when repairing books, glue sometimes ends up on counters,
hands, clothes, etc.  The time lost having to run to a sink located
elsewhere in the building could affect the time available to help the
students.  Our library is used to host parent meetings and other events,
as
well as after school clubs that also include food (an enticement to the
kids!), and I can't think how preparation and clean up could be done
without
a sink nearby.  I vote for the sink.  Tell them to cut something else,
but
you must have a sink!!!
>From C.N., MI:
Speaking from just down the road a bit, I would really recommend a sink
in
the Media Center. I have had a new center built in one building and
major
renovation in the other and BOTH have a sink.  I would be lost without
it.
It is really surprising how often you clean hands or want to clean off
table
tops.  It is nice to be able to offer coffee when teaming with staff
members.  Best  wishes to you.
************************************
>From J.A., WA:
can't imagine not having a sink in our library work room.  We are
constantly
washing our hands and cleaning gunk off of book covers.  In all of the
libraries
 I've worked in, we had a sink.
Good luck.  I hope our votes help.
*************************************
>From  R.R., RI:
No sink?  What about book repairs where water is essential?  Even if you
don't
repair on a regular basis, I'm sure there will be a time when some
valuable
item may need immediate repairs that require water.
Also, what about when using your overhead?  How do you wipe the marker
off the
transparency, with spit?
There are numerous reasons to have a sink available in the facility.  I
hope
you stick to your guns and get one!
**************************************
>From  B.C., AL:
VERY IMPORTANT! We remodeled some this past summer and the line to my
sink was somehow broken.  I was without a sink for the first half of
this
school year and it was horrible.  You are absolutely right about the
need
for a sink for materials processing AND social activities that (I think)
are important in a library.  You'll be sorry if you don't push for a
sink
--- Good luck!
Karen Voigts, Librarian
L.E.White Middle School, Allegan, MI