Here is part II of the question of importance of having a sink in the
media center:
*************************************
>From   J.S., CA:
Ours is a new library/media center with a sink behind the counter that
according to our architect and district manager had to be accessible for
the handicapped. You might try check with your state (or maybe its a
federal requirement) regarding health, safety issues in regards to a
washing area??? Hope this helps.
***************************************
>From  L.G., NV:
It is very important to have a sink in the Media Center.  Reasons:
  1.  Library books, especially those recently handled by grubby hands
are "dirty", and therefore a librarian and staff often need to wash
hands.  Newspapers are also dirty and require handwashing after
handling, a daily occurrence.
   2.  Sometimes projects in library require water, as in mixing
tempera paints, and then, of course, cleaning up afterward.
   3.  Always, the materials used to repair damaged library books
require the use of water to mix, thin pastes, etc.
   4.  If the library is ever used for receptions, meetings, etc., it
is necessary to have a sink for filling coffee pots, etc., and
cleaning up afterward.
     The thought of having to run to the office or teacher's lounge
every time my hands required washing, or a sticky table top needed
cleaning is absurd.
************************************
>From D.W., OH:
A sink is critical.  I couldn't repair books without one.  And my
tables...I
certainly couldn't afford graffiti spry and old fashioned cleansers
require
a lot of rinsing.
**************************************
>From  C.T.:
Do you have a school nurse?  Perhaps s/he could better explain the
importance
of a sink to administration.  I truly believe no one is exposed to more
germs
than those of us in libraries!
In addition, how about students who come in with candy/ink/etc. on their
fingers whom I lead to the sink before I let them loose on the books!
How about the problem of some of the materials we work with--newsprint
from
papers, glue for repair that must be washed off?
I just can't imagine a media center without a sink!  I hope you get
gazillions
of answers to use for ammunition.
>From G.J., OR:
Ya gotta havasink! with all the glues, stickies, student projects, etc.
and don't forget -- every library has dirty books! Ask your
admin/architect, etc. to transfer a shelf of books from one shelf to
another then look at their hands! Besides, what about student/staff
meetings, birthday parties, etc No sink? Might as well have no windows
(oops!).
>From  L.L., KY
I think a sink is very important.  I am in an old building with a small
library, but I have a sink.  It is used everyday and it would be a great
inconvenience to do without it.  It is especially convenient when we are
mending books and into other messy projects.
>From J.S., MO:
Yes, yes, yes.  A sink is an absolute essential in the library.  How
else
could we wash off the jelly, syrup and sundry other things that
sometimes
coat the returned books.  How would we get the ink off our fingers when
working with printers gone amuck?  How else could we clean off our
tables?
What would all the people hosting functions for one event or another and
using the library as the hospitality center do to prepare the coffee and
other drinks?
I could go on and on, but I thank my lucky stars every day that the
person
who designed my room had the forethought to put a sink in my little
office.  I call it my office, but at a lot of other functions it is the
kitchen, even if it does just have a sink.
Beg, plead and cry if necessary, but GET THAT SINK.
**************************************
>From  V.M., TN:
A sink is necessary in the library unless your principal wants you to
make
frequent trips down the hall to wash your hands!
Librarians still use glue in processing and mending materials.
Newsprint
rubs off as you prepare the morning papers for circulation.  Materials
that
are not frequently used get dusty and your hands get dirty as you handle
them.  Students' hands, bookbags, lockers...and yes, homes...are seldom
clean as they should be and handling returned items is a good way to
pick
up germs and viruses, spreading colds.
Then there's the occasional student nosebleed or sick stomach that make
sinks handy to have nearby!
I vote for a complete restroom in the library suite!  I'm so tied to my
area during the day (1-person job, no aide) that I have to leave the
library unattended if I have to go to the restroom.  If I had to leave
everytime I needed to wash my hands, that would be a major inconvenience
as
well as a health hazard.
Does he have a restroom and sink available in his office suite?  I'd
guess
that he does...and would fight to keep them!
>From G.F., FL:
Yes to the sink!!!!!!  We couldn't live without it -- whether for
washing
peanut butter off book covers, wiping down sticky tables after faculty
meetings, watering plants, getting set up for meetings, etc.  Matter of
fact, I think every media center needs a rest room, if only for faculty
use.
Good luck!
>From  L.H., TX:
I use my sink MANY times each day:
Books are DIRTY, and if I have been shelving, weeding, or otherwise
handling lots of books, my hands are actually gray.
Sometimes books require a damp wash to remove sticky messes on the
cover.
Books and library cards transfer germs - I wash with soap and water
between each class.  (In fact, I advocate a sink in every classroom for
this
reason!)
Repairing books is messy - glue, etc.  I can do a quick clean-up.
My library is used for staff meetings weekly, organization meetings,
grade level meetings, volunteer teas, showers, etc.  The sink is
essential
for cleaning-up.
Every school library where I went to school or where I have worked had a
sink in the workroom - it just doesn't make sense not to have one!
Karen Voigts, Librarian
L.E.White Middle School, Allegan, MI
kvoigts@accn.org