> For those of us not familiar with Washington what is "Adams Morgan?"  I
do > know Dupont Circle....  > >

For the sake of all of you coming to DC, I thought I'd respond to this
message on the list, as well as name some specific restaurants in DC (I've
gotten a dozen or so requests so far for recommendations, so I might as
well answer so you can all see it).

First, Adams Morgan is a neighborhood just to to northeast of the Dupont
Circle neighborhood. It's centered around 18th Street, about five blocks
north of U street. Adams Morgan is probably the most eclectic neighborhood
in town as its the home of an interesting population mix of Ethiopians and
Eritreans, Hispanics, West Africans, Vietnamese and Gen X'ers. Some of the
area highlights:

Ethiopian/Eritrean food. If you've never tried it, this is the place to
have it. A/M has the largest concentration of Ethiopian restaurants in
America - at least a dozen of them. Ethiopian food is usually a spicy
stewed meat or vegetable, served in a variety of dollops on a large
sourdough crepe called injera. When you order it in a group, all of your
orders are placed on the same large crepe, and you all dig in by ripping
off a piece of injera (you'll get a basketful) and scooping up the stews
with your hands. No forks, knives or spoons. It's great communal eating,
but you better like spices (not necessarily hot spices, though). My
favorite Ethiopian joint is Meskerem, in the heart of A/M on 18th st.
Great food plus interesting Ethiopian decor. Other decent places include
Red Sea, Fasika's and Addis Ababa, also located on 18th, but Meskerem
beats them hands-down. Wherever you go, just order the resident
combination platter (at meskerem it's the Meskerem Mesob) and let them
select what you get. It's a lot easier that way. Usually costs around 12
dollars per person plus drinks. Reservations not needed except for large
groups.

Other restaurants in A/M:

I Matti: Great Italian trattoria. Reservations recommended.

The Grill from Ipanema: Brazilian. Live music late nights, lots of
Portugeuse/Brasilian expats.

Cities: This place changes its theme every year. Right now it's Istanbul.
A little pricy but fun.

Saigonnais: Mellow, tasty Vietnamese place. Usually not crowded but worth
it. Great grilled entrees and noodles.

Felix: Martini bar with a James Bond theme. You can't miss it with it's
aluminum/neon facade. Good lounge music.

Other neighborhoods:

Dupont Circle. Zorba the Greek has great cheap greek eats. Pesce is DC's
best italian fish market. Skewers (on the corner of 17th and P, I think)
is excellent mideast food with cheap, cheap kabobs. Below Skewers is the
Luna Cafe and to its right is Bua, a decent Thai place. Lauriol, on 18th
and U, is a popular mexican joint. Caravan Grill, two or three blocks
north of 18th and U, is the only local Persian place. Good buffet.

Georgetown. Every building is a restaurant. Just show up and walk. If you
like Indian, though, the best in town is at the Aditi, on M st across from
the Creighton Davis Gallery.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I'm not going to the
conference myself, but if there's going to be a LM_NET gathering of some
sort, let me know...

   WW                           Andy Carvin
  /__\                          andy@gsn.org
 | oo |    _WWWWW_
(|_()_|)  /  o o  \    (+)(+)   New Media
  \__/  (|  __o__  |) /      \  Project Officer
Come Visit The EdWeb Project at http://edweb.gsn.org