OK, it *is* possible.

I guess this will teach me not to talk about an online service that I lack
extensive background in.  Also, this will teach me not to take at face
value what an AOL tech-support person tells me on the phone.  I've
received several messages from LM_NETters informing me that one can indeed
telnet when AOL is the service provider, at least when using version 3
software (I'm not sure what version I was trying at my sister's house).

For some reason, I never even thought to do what they mentioned, which
essentially was to fire up AOL and then just go ahead and fire up the
Windows 95 telnet program while AOL is still running in the background (I
assume other telnet programs could be used as well).  I really thought
that one needed to telnet with some special AOL telnet software, but I was
wrong.  My sincere apologies to the group for my misinformation. . .

I think I was still jaded by my previous (and very brief) experiences with
earlier versions of AOL, mostly because it seemingly would not allow me to
do things that I took for granted.  For example, when I tried AOL's Web
browser at a friend's house for the first time in January 1997, AOL did
not allow us to immediately key in a URL.  Instead, it made us perform an
Excite search first.  The friend also told me that it wasn't possible to
telnet with AOL, so I believed him.  Then, while working for my library
school's distance education program, we found that many people (seemingly)
could not ever telnet into our class chatrooms using AOL.  We immediately
told them to get a different ISP, for telnetting was absolutely essential
for them to go to their virtual classes and interact by using MOO and/or
IRC.

Anyway, sorry again.  No more comments from me about telnetting with AOL
as the provider. . .

Gabe

GABE GANCARZ, TEACHING ASSISTANT         UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS
Learning Resources [Computer] Lab              2nd-Year Student
GRAD SCHOOL OF L.I.S.                        GRADUATING MAY '98
http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/~gancarz/            Ph. (217) 333-9890
gancarz@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu                  Fax (217) 244-3302