I am posting this to let you know that we have discovered an excellent
video to use with uppper level HS students (juniors and seniors) about
this topic.

It is called "Shot by a Kid", produced by the BBC (yes, they came here
because they were amazed at the number of gun related incidents that
occur in the US), and available from  The School Co.  1-800-543-0998.
Cost is $35.00

I am taking the time to post this information because the material is so
useful.  It is somewhat graphic, but it documents children, guns and
violence in four cities in the US.  Support materials are excellent.
Several different projects are included and are well developed.

 The teacher who requested this video is currently implementing three of
the projects and has very enthusiastically thanked me for purchasing
this video, several times.  One project has students researching the
problem of weapons in schools, incorporating the use of databases like
NEWSBANK, SIRS, PROQUEST, ELECTRIC LIBRARY, etc.  Students are applying
Big 6 skills to the topic and it is working out very well.  Another of
the projects would work well in a block scheduling situation where you
have a large block of time, but can even be implemented in a series of
regular class periods.

Due to the recurring events in the news, I thought that some of us might
be looking for materials to deal with this topic. The company will allow
you to preview the video and support materials.  It is well worth doing.

We are using it in our Participation in Government course, which all
Seniors take in NY state.  But it could also be used in Sociology, Mass
Media, or similar courses.
--
Carolyn Gierke, Librarian
Sweet Home High School

"I get enough exercise just pushing my luck."