Thank you for compiling the stuff about giving library grades.  When you
asked, I had nothing to offer, but in the last few weeks, I have done a
collaborative project with the 7th grade science teacher and our goals
included having the kids really use the Big 6 as they researched a science
career.  Their presentation took the form of explaining their position as
a scientist needing funding for a research project specific to their
field.  Most of their investigation took place during "my" class, and they
were told they would receive a joint grade.  We developed a Big 6 packet
for them to help keep them on track, and I graded that.  This is the first
time I required them to create questions to focus their research, and many
said in their evaluations that it really helped a lot.  I made a big deal
of the evaluation (step 6) because I know it's a part no one would do if
they weren't made to--but it's so valuable!  My grade (weighted by the
science teacher as she sees fit) was based on students' research behavior
during class, notetaking skills, using correct bib format, and completing
the preliminary and evaluatory charts (those that related to "define the
question" and "evaluate the process and product.")  The kids responded
better, I think, to my lessons because we were upfront about the library
portion of their grade--they were accountable!  I'm going to try this with
all the collaborative projects now.  Sorry this got long-winded.

Maureen S. Irwin          **Any book you have not read is a new book ;)**
Middle School Librarian
Roland Park Country School
Baltimore, MD  21010
irwinm@rpcs.pvt.k12.md.us      or  msirwin@umd5.umd.edu (for listserv)