Is there anyone out there who would like to discuss various aspects of
school participation in large regional or state-wide library
automation/information networks? In Minnesota, we are in the process of
selecting a vendor for a state-wide system that will serve university,
public, special, and school libraries. This system has two parts: a
full-service library automation system and a gateway that facilitates
communication between different library systems throughout our state. The
system has been dubbed MnLINK. The system is being funded by a $12 million
dollar appropriation from the state legislature. Although many schools have
expressed an interest in the system, there are still many important pieces
of information that schools need to have before making a decision about
their level of participation. (Fees have not yet been established.)

I would be interested in hearing about the experiences of other states
where schools are involved in  large networks.

More specifically, I would be interested in learning about school
experiences with the following library automation vendors (especially in
regional systems.) These are the finalists for the MnLINK vendors:

DRA
IBM/CGI
Innovative Interfaces
VTLS
(OCLC and CPS are vendors for the gateway only, not for the integrated
library system)

All the vendors have demonstrated there wares during January and February.
A decision will be made in April.

If you are interested in our project, more information can be found at:

http://www.heso.state.mn.us/www/mnlink/mnlink.htm

just plain jane

__________________________________
"...it looks as though the universe was intended to be as interesting as
possible."  Freeman Dyson, _Wired_ 6.02
__________________________________
Jane Prestebak, Librarian
Roseville Area High School
1240 W. County Rd. B-2
Roseville, MN 55113-4396
phone: 612-635-1672
fax: 612-635-1699
jprest01@roseville.k12.mn.us

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/