I am planning the furniture for a non-electronic library classroom and need
your advice.  Has anyone ever used tables of the sort that are often found in
meeting rooms in hotels/conference centers--18-20" deep and 6-8' long, so that
they can hold 3-4 people facing one direction (they are not deep enough for a
writing surface in front of people on both sides)?  I can specify individual
student desks (one-piece typical classroom desks) or tables and chairs, and I
am wondering which to do (or something else entirely?).

The classroom is not big (17'9" x 26', which is maybe half the size of our
standard classroom) and we need to maximize both the number of students we can
get in and flexibility in ways we can use it.  (Computers, however, are in
another room, so this room is not planned for computer use.)   The architect
drew in 24 student desks, which is the maximum that will fit, and they are
packed in pretty closely.  I am thinking I can get more students in when we
need to (using just chairs if need be) and also have more flexibility in
arranging things to facilitate discussions if I order the tables and narrow
stackable chairs.  Does anyone have any experience or an opinion?  I am happy
to get lots of answers, even if they are just thoughts, because surely some of
you will think of things (pro & con) that I haven't thought of.  Thank you!

If anyone else wants to know and wants a Hit, let me know.

Ellen Fisher, Librarian
Radnor HS, Radnor PA
efisher610@aol.com

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/