I posted a request for sources for modern African American Scientists and
inventors.  We had the standard list of historical figures but nothing on
current people.

These are the suggested sources that people sent.  The first web site listed
proved to be a very valuable site.

The Faces of Science:

          African Americans in the Sciences.

          Louisiana State University Libraries, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

http://www.lib.lsu.edu/lib/chem/display/faces.html

African American Inventors by the McKissacks:

In "Contemporary Black Biography" by Gale

Then the "Encyclopedia of Black America" (1981)

http://inventors.tqn.com/msub1.htm

for sections on Black Inventors.

Contemporary Black Biography, published by Gale Publishing
(now up to 16 volumes) has a index of occupations at the back of each
volume. The index corresponds to biographies in their volumes.
I find this the most used set(I now have 2 sets) in my Media Center.
The biographies are about 4 pages in length with a picture which
copies well on the copy machine.  Two volumes are published each year

Despite the fact that February is over, I still felt that I should share
this site for Inventors. I found this when I was repeatedly asked for
Inventors, or "the name of the guy that invented...".   Be forewarned, this
site is far from objective in presentation of the subject matter.
http://edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu/~rlandrum/index2.html

We have a wonderful 3 volume set: African American Voices of Triumph, pub.
by Time-Life, c1993.  One of the volumes has a chapter on science &
invention.

There are several.  I am at home but there is a book which I think is
called Five African American Inventors.

  The book, I've got an idea by Gloria Swanson and Margaret Ott
is about Frederick Jones who received the National Medal of
Technology (Lerner).  There is also Guion Bluford from
NASA.  I think Crabtree might also have a series.

Deborah Stafford
Gen H.H. Arnold HS
Department of Defense Dependents Schools
Wiesbaden Germany
stafford@email.wiesbaden.army.mil
or  deborah_stafford@ccmail.odedodea.edu