--------------25AB8B9ADB14453107F03669

And now, for something completely different--a SERIOUS question.

I am curious how those of you in the field go about purchasing
"appropriate" magazines while having a limited budget.  As "appropriate"
is quite subjective, I'm looking for some tried-and-true magazines
appropriate for a middle school clientele (including staff).

My feeling is that I have an obligation to put age-appropriate material
out there (e. g., Girls' Life but NOT Seventeen), but I believe I have
an obligation to buy what is interesting to students/staff as well.
Nevertheless, I have a problem with subscribing to a publication that
neither supports curricula nor enhances the learning experience.  Buying
People when no one but staff reads it bothers me, as I wonder if  staff
should purchase these things on their own.

How do you handle these types of decisions?  And on a slightly different
angle, how do you handle multi-culturalism as it applies to this
subject?  Should we carry Ebony, for example, even though only 6% of our
student body is Ebony's target audience?  If we do, are we now on the
slippery slope because we do not carry publications that are targeting
Hispanic, Asian, or other non-Anglos?

Like all problems, this one started with a simple question regarding our
choices (Why Skateboarding and not Archaeology?)  and blossomed
frightfully from there.  The more I entertain the possibilities, the
more I see potential storm clouds.  As has been mentioned in an earlier
posting (ads in SI, I believe), were I censorial in nature, Seventeen's
content (and ads) would give me pause.  I would not be surprised to have
a 6th-grade parent question the wisdom of making this magazine
available.

ANY thoughts that include policies and suggestions will be acknowledged
and appreciated.  Flamers need not respond.  I know this is a touchy
subject, and although some may criticize my apparent expectation of the
negative, I'd rather not get blasted for asking for help.  I'd be happy
to post whatever comes my way.

Thanks a lot.

sjp
--
S. J. Peterson
Library/Media-Technical Support Co=F6rdinator

--------------25AB8B9ADB14453107F03669

begin:          vcard
fn:             High Commander
n:              Commander;High