        I used the time when we converted to Unison to do my
annual student survey which always is productive.  I explain
the rules of brainstorming and pose the topic:
        "What did you NOT find in the library this year that
        you needed for an assignment, a project, report or
        for personal interest?
        What policies or procedures were a problem for you.?"
I record all responses and may ask a few questions for
clarification.
        One student said "Mrs. Altshuler, don't change a
thing--everything is perfect just the way it is!" The other
749 students had lots to say.  One boy looked around the room
and told me I needed to buy some more books so that all the
shelves would be full from edge to edge. Another class took off
on an architectural theme with ideas for a wall of exceptional
books (eg Guiness Book of World Records), adding rooms for
projects completely equipped with poster board, paint, glue and
lots of scissors, creating a loft for quiet reading, and making
one window a door to a water slide down one floor to a swimming
pool:)
        While some of the ideas like the water slide must
remain a dream, there were several themes that emerged and we
have made some immediate changes to speed up check out, added
another catalog station (a bonus from the conversion process),
started a list of Biographies To Buy (and one student brought me
some book reviews of Olympic athlete biographies) and they are
helping me weed the sports section.
        Paper surveys have never been as useful or productive
as this sort of discussion. Students also take a much more
proprietary interest--and as orders come in, I have a display
and thank them for their participation.
        Try it--I think you will enjoy the process and I can
guarantee it will let you see your library in a new light.

        Meredith Altshuler, Librarian
        D.J. Montague Elementary
        Williamsburg, Virginia
        maltshul@pen.k12.va.us