You raised the question of limiting Internet use. We have 54 stations
in our library that could have Internet access, but limit use to 29
that I can see easily from my desk. My concern is not just for
students wasting bandwidth or downloading inappropriate material, but
uploading something that is copyrighted, like software. The
prospect of an unsupervised student posting a piece of expensive,
commercial software from my library and my potential share of the
liability makes me shudder.

In the course of writing an Internet tutorial, my partner and I came
up with a five part plan for granting Internet access:

1.Teach students how to use the Internet and define what is
considered appropriate and inappropriate use. That was the major
impetus for our writing an all-inclusive course.

2. Test students to ensure that they know and understand school rules
about the Internet as well as how to use the Internet
properly. Retain a copy of the passed tests in case you need to
prove the student was taught and knew what was acceptable.

3. Have students and their parents or guardians sign an agreement
which specifies what is and is not acceptable Internet use, and
confirms, in writing, the student's agreement to adhere to Acceptable
Use Policies. Keep the agreement on file with the passed test.

4. Allow Internet access only in supervised areas. This does not mean
you have to be next to the student, watching at all times. But it is
reasonable to expect that an adult supervisor is in the immediate
vicinity and will be keeping an eye out for signs of inappropriate
Internet use. I advocate using the library as the primary Internet
access site. Most school libraries are open and staffed before,
during and after school, and Internet instruction fits well with the
library's mandate to teach students how to access and use
information.

5. Establish a record of enforcement of computer and Internet use
rules. Students need to know that rules are enforced and you may be
called upon to document that enforcement. (If you are using a Novell
network, a REM statement in the student's login script is a great way
to keep a record of abuse and corrective measures.) If you
consistently remove computer access from students who abuse the
privilege and dutifully record your actions, not only will students be
less inclined to use the Internet inappropriately, but if they do, you
can prove that you have made a reasonable attempt to anticipate and
correct problems.

Pat Lewis
Highland Secondary
plewis@sd71.bc.ca