Janet Dean's question about cataloging paperbacks with Alliance Plus is
something I've been wondering about, too.  I do not have Follett, I have
Mandarin .  And I  have about 500 paperbacks donated by Title One to the
library--(Read they changed teachers and the new ones don't want the stuff the
old ones ordered).  Anyway most of them are duplicates of titles I have in
hardback.  In addition I have a number of Cassette/paperback kits which were
not included in the retrospective conversion which also duplicate titles we
have in harback.  In thinking about the best way to do this considering the
limited time we all have
I have thought about

(1) just adding another 852 field (barcode, etc)  to the record already in the
catalog; but this does cause a problem if the item becomes overdue.  Mandarin
does not tie the price it prints on the notice to the barcode of the item
which is out and therefore just prints all the prices associated with that
record.

(2) I could extract and append records which means I could just change the
pertinent information; however I believe the leaders would then be wrong,
especially in the case of the kits.

(3) I could just do brief cataloging in Mitinet, but then the paperbacks and
kits will not come up in many keyword searches.

I'm always after a perfect solution and none of these seem to fit.  What are
your suggestions?

Paula Neale
Ingels Elementary School
Kansas City, Missouri