Just thought I'd share something fun with you.  Our library clerk always
creates wonderful displays.  Last week she created one with a cute
leprechaun saying, "Get to readin', lads and lassies."  She didn't have
enough time to switch the books leftover from February's "Love a Loan-ly
Book" display, though, so I finished up.  After removing the "loanly" books,
I had a sudden and weird inspiration.  The next thing I knew I was gathering
together loads of green books. Yep! Just plain old green books. It was so
much fun!!  Never before had I ever displayed books simply for their color.
My only requisite was that the covers be nearly totally green, although they
could range from forest green to chartreuse.  I really went overboard once I
saw how many green books I could collect in just a few minutes.  I now have
green books on display all over the library, on such diverse topics as
snails, the CIA, etiquette, poetry, mosses, advertising, baseball, horses,
puppetry, and riddles.  What an impact it has made!!  No one can step foot
in the library without being struck by all the green. I have never gotten so
many comments or so much interest generated from a display before.  It even
caught the attention of my principal who has never mentioned any of our
displays in all the years I've been at my school.  Another intriguing
eye-catcher is the bin of books we have out that have all been rebound with
plain green covers (normally shelf-sitters).  The kids have no idea what
they're about unless they actually pick the books up.  I can't imagine ever
displaying a book without so much as a title on the front under any other
circumstance.  I've never had so much fun displaying books, and what's more,
it's given me an opportunity to promote titles that would never normally be
chosen for display.  Therefore, students have picked up books on subjects
they never would have otherwise.  So, if you feel like having a laugh,
choose books of all one color and get a rise out of your patrons. It works!
%%%%%%%%

Vickie Rabourn
vrabourn@telis.org
Los Osos Middle School Librarian
San Luis Coastal Unified School District
San Luis Obispo, CA